Logo

1996 Evinrude 60 Questions

D

Dave Marshall

"Hey Guy's, I stumlbed ont

"Hey Guy's, I stumlbed onto this forum after finding great deals on parts for a 1996 TLED 60 Hp Evinrude that was given to me along with a 22' pontoon boat, Let me start by saying this combo had been sitting in a saltwater bay for a couple of years, yeah it had an easy 2" layer of barnacles and growth on the tunes and the lower unit of the engine. After scrapping away 99.9% of the growth to get to the L/U oil screws to check the fluid, I cracked them open to find water in the L/U, So a new seal kit is in order, is the L/U seal kit #5000309 the correct kit for the L/U? The prop turns free and shifts from Fwd to Rev very easily. Am I able to pull the guts out of the gear case without a special puller?

I have plenty of other questions, and would really like if someone could help walk me through this project. I am no stranger to outboards, and have owned and serviced merc's, suzuk's, and yamaha's, just never really tore into a L/U of a Evinrude before, or any L/U for that matter.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Marshall"

"396349--seal kit...(oem&#

"396349--seal kit...(oem)
sierra---18--2660
u wont need to gut the gearcase,..unless,checking parts,or really dirty..
a factory service manual,.is the best tool in the tool box.!"

"Thanks for the info jwb,

"Thanks for the info jwb,

Would that be the #507125 Service manual?

So I should be able to remove the inner hub and replace seals with out a special tool?

I would also like to know what is the propper procedure for reconnecting the shift linkage when i re-instal it? I know it should be as simple as how I got it apart, but i really think I was just lucky, I disconnected the linkage and moved the shift lever to the farthest fwd position and I felt it disconnect, Is there a trick to get it to re-connect?

Dave"

"There is no trick---- just re

"There is no trick---- just remember to measure the length of the shift rod ( in nuetral ) and make sure it is the same or check it from the manual on re-assembly.Prop shaft hub can be removed with a slide hammer or threaded rod and a strongback, the threaded holes are already there in the hub either 5/16 NC or 3/8 NC."

"Thanks for the info London.

"Thanks for the info London.
Can anyone recomend a check list to go through ie; Water pump kit, Carb kits' fuel pump kit, thermostats etc? This motor has sat for quite a while, and the external shows it, but on the other hand under the cowl looks fantastic, just a little rust around the plugs and flywheel, the rest looks surprisingly well.
The trim pump motor was not working until I rapped on it with the handle end of a screwdriver, then it came back to life, but sounded very low on fluid, would that indicate a bad seal on one or more of the rams?

Thanks,
Dave"

Whenever someone becomes the &

Whenever someone becomes the " proud owner " of an outboard it is always a good idea to install a new impeller.The pump housing and liner are plastic and do not need replacement on a regular basis!!!Check the small plugs on the front of the carburetors ( 7/16 wrench ) if nothing comes out and there are no green deposits on the screw you might assume that someone drained the carburetors before storage and they may not need work.If green stuff oozes out they will need cleaning.

The water pump liners are stai

The water pump liners are stainless steel and only need service if the motor is operated in sandy / dirty muddy water.

"Thanks again, After I start t

"Thanks again, After I start tearing it down i'm sure i will have more questions.

When ordering parts form here, how long does it normally take them to arrive? (I'm in east central Florida)

This is a GREAT site, glad I found it.

Dave"

Back