Logo

Using mixed block parts front and rear from 2 motors

S

Sleeper

"Well, I for one have always w

"Well, I for one have always wondered what the answer to this question was. I was hoping that you would let us know if it works or not. Don't blame you though. Mr. Reeves knows his stuff."

"I'm not sure if they are

"I'm not sure if they are molded in one piece. I think they are molded in two, matching surfaces machined, then bolted together and the crank-shaft and bearing surfaces are machined with the unit as 'one' piece. ( How we did it at the old Archimedes Penta/Volvo Penta factory in Sweden). The end result however is the same, they are a matched pair."

"I picked up a good block, as

"I picked up a good block, as much as I love a good experiement, I dont' like experiments that involve a significant emotional event. ( like the kind that happens when i'm trying to explain to my wife why i'm rebuilding a motor twice...)"

"An outboard motor can come un

"An outboard motor can come under the term " fine machinery " If you look closely at the centre main bearings you will see that they were cracked at the factory. If you now look at the block you will see the dowels that line up the two halves.What this does is line up the bores so that the centre main bearings will line up properly.Take one of those bearing shells and put it out of line in your hands, you will then see that the bore is not lined up and the rollers have an obstruction!It is best not to mix those part from motor to motor."

Back