Logo

Age of 90HP Johnson and Oil injection question

G

Gary Jackman

"Can anyone tell me how old my

"Can anyone tell me how old my 90HP Johnson is? It is Model # VJ90TLETE, Serial # G02594240.
Also it has the VRO2 oil injection system, does this mean the same thing as Direct Injection? Some of our National Parks in Canada are restricting boat engines to either 4 stroke or 2 stroke w/direct injection"

"The "ET within the model

"The "ET within the model number indicates that the engine is a 1993 90hp model.

I retired before that engine was manufactured and I'm not familiar with the VRO2 setup. However, if that VRO pump is a fairly large black plastic item with one fuel line and one oil line leading to it, the fuel and oil would be mixed internally and then delivered to carburetors. Hopefully another member will jump in here and either verify this or correct my ststement."

"Joe, VRO2 is roughly the same

"Joe, VRO2 is roughly the same as the original VRO setup. From what I understand, the main difference is the mixture. The first generation pumps ran 150:1 at idle, and 50:1 full tilt. VRO2 runs between 50:1 and 60:1 depending on engine load. While an engine can idle forever on 150:1, the problem came in when people would have to run an extended time at low speed to get from open water to their mooring. The 150:1 mix didn't leave enough residual oil on the internal componenets to prevent corrosion after the engine was shut down. VRO2 is also more resistant to ethanol in fuels, and was equipped with the more reliable 4-wire no oil alarm.

The first generation VRO pumps were all black. VRO2 pumps had a light brown elbow on the discharge fitting. The newest generation of pumps are labeled "OMS" for "oil metering system". These pumps have the pulse and discharge fittings held in by a metal retainer plate with two torx screws. OMS pumps are universal across all engine lines, while VRO and VRO2 pumps were calibrated to maintain the proper mixture for a specific engine line.

Dan"

Back