Logo

Replace 120hp with

P

paston1

Looking at buying a Sea ray wi

Looking at buying a Sea ray with a blown 120 or locked up should i rebuild this motor or swap a different one in. If i swap what will fit and can I go to a 4.3 or larger?

"Ayuh,....

Only the 2.5l,&#

"Ayuh,....

Only the 2.5l,+ the 3.0l will bolt in.....

Anything larger will need All of the rest of the driveline to make it work......"

"and if you change engines, co

"and if you change engines, consider the fact that you'll have to buy a litany of expensive things that CAN'T be swapped from your 120: engine mounts, drive gear ratios, manifolds, blah blah...

Far more cost effective to replace with the same power plant and spend that $ on a boat with more engine.

The last one of these i did, i towed the boat up the ramp on a friday, jammed a short block in it on Saturday and was boating again on Sunday. The old owner who sold it to me for pocket change due to the thrown rod was almost offended to see me on his old boat (with chicks/beers) two days after he wrote it off for scrap!

My thoughts... and editorial.
Hays"

"recommend 3.0L. many 120 &#40

"recommend 3.0L. many 120 (2.5L.)parts hard, or impossible to find. ratio, mounting is the same."

"Just in case you are thinking

"Just in case you are thinking of the 3.0L as a replacement; there is nothing you can do to a 3.0L to get more than 135 HP out of it. It should be sufficient for your boat if you had a 2.5L 120 HP in it.
snow.gif
"

just so happens I have a 140hp

just so happens I have a 140hp 3.0L for sale I have never heard it run because I bought a boat that came with this motor as the original motor but the guy I bought it from swaped it for a 180 hp 3.7L so I still have all the motor mounts and exhaust and everthing with it I will be doin a compression test this weekend on it and will let you know what the nuimbers are if you are intrested

Back