Logo

Welding case

crashtestdummy

I know this sounds far fetched

I know this sounds far fetched but is it possible if anybody is familiar with an 87 90hp v4 flatback unit in particular the exhaust i tried to remove the exhaust covers to change out gaskets and remove carbon buildup and broke a bolt off this one in particular is in the center i drilled through the bolt right through the center and got proggresivly larger with bit untill i almost touched the threads figuring most of the bolt was gone i slowly ran a tap through as it was almost all the way through tap broke off now im screwed i cant drill through the tap but what i was thinking was to carefully cut out the bad area and fill the void with welding being carefull not to distort it and to keep filling the sealing area to a minimun then redrill and tap would this be feasable or am i just pissing into the wind?

Not sure if I full understand

Not sure if I full understand the problem. But can you use a punch to fracture the broken tap? You may be able to use something like JB or Belzona epoxy to reclaim. What do you have to loose?

"Bruce.... At this point, it w

"Bruce.... At this point, it would be advisable to contact a reliable machine shop to remove that tap and to restore the thread.

In the future, when removing frozen bolts etc, use a hand held propane torch to heat the aluminum that surrounds the bolt/screw etc."

"We really do not know what ex

"We really do not know what experience people have , farmers, astronauts, nurses,rocket scientist.You have to decide " is this all the motor needs " or am I going to spend money/ time welding only to find out next week that it needs more work.A total evaluation of the motor is needed.Some of us here could tell you in a matter of minutes if your motor is good or worthless. But we need to stand beside your motor!"

You seem to be rather free wit

You seem to be rather free with insults aimed at professionals that have been there and done that many times over. Perhaps it is unintentional. I wish you luck with that engine and hope that no further problems exist that you might need help with.

Joe:
He stated above that thi

Joe:
He stated above that this was not his first 'RODEO'.
I guess it is some bad cowboy manners hanging on.
Let us just be happy that he is back in his 'saddle' 'riding' the waves again.

Back