Logo

Electric Shift Switch

B

bryanparkhurst

"Hello everyone!

I have a 1

"Hello everyone!

I have a 1970 (I believe that is what it is) Johnson with a hydro-electric drive. I finally just got it running and I couldn't figure out why it was stuck in forward gear. As it turns out, the shift switch inside the control box was stuck in forward, so I moved it to neutral and that fixed the problem. However, I have to jiggle the throttle quite a bit to get the neutral to engage, so I know that I need a new shift switch. My question is: Where in the world can I get a new switch? I have looked on ebay and have found one for $150, but I really don't want to have to pay that much for one. Would any of you happen to know where I would be able to get one for a fairly reasonable price (or at least from somewhere that isn't ebay)? Anyone that could help me out would be greatly appreciated!"

The EVINRUDE was shifted with

The EVINRUDE was shifted with a push button unit.There is nothing to stop you from rigging that up.Forward gear no voltage anywhere----- nuetral 12 volts to green--- reverse 12 volts to green and 12volts to the blue as well. Pretty simple to do really.

"William,

The motor was w

"William,

The motor was working fine for a week or so (this was right after I bought the boat) before it quit running on me, I had forward gear and neutral. Then the motor quit running, so I had to mess around with it until I figured out that the battery cables were bad. I fixed that problem, but it was stuck in forward gear, even after I replaced the lower unit oil with the proper "type C" gear lube. Since I really hate messing with wires (I looked on this website and Joe Reeves had posted a wiring diagram for the lower unit), I took the control box apart figuring that something had come loose, and I found that the switch was hung in forward gear. Once I moved it up to neutral, that fixed the problem to a point, but like I said in my original post, I have to jiggle it in order to get the neutral to work. Many thanks to you and london marine for your replies, I will check into both of them!"

HOW DO YOU TELL IF YOU HAVE AN

HOW DO YOU TELL IF YOU HAVE AND ELECTRIC SHIFT OR A HYDRO ELECTRIC SHIFT? 1970 JOHNSON 40 HORSEPOWER.MODEL 40ESL 70A.

"The hydro electric shift did

"The hydro electric shift did not exist until 1968 on the 55hp model. The 1970 40hp, if one of the electric shift models (not manual shift) would be the straight electric shift system."

Back