Logo

15HP Stalls When Given Gas

santacruz

"Hi.

I have a 2003 BF15D.

"Hi.

I have a 2003 BF15D. I posted earlier that my engine started without a problem... but stalled very soon after.

My friend took the carburator out to look for obvious problems. Didn't see anything significant. He scraped around a little, but we didn't have any carb cleaner (used clean gas only).

After he put it back together, it now starts fine, and idles fine. But... when I accelerate it, it stalls. My friend thinks there may still be a clog somewhere. I added "Sea Foam" carb cleaner to clean gas and idled the engine for almost 40 minutes. Still stalls if accelerated.

What's the next step? Thanks a lot for your help."

"i reckon you should check you

"i reckon you should check your fuel hoses back to your tank, Is your fuel tank plastic ? i reckon there the best if its metal it could have particles cloging up your lines . Check the conection is connecting propally also it needs to breathe so the fuel breather nut should be loose ,make sure theres no water in the tank and use new fuel (gas)sounds like it is only getting limited fuel thats why its stalling ."

"Thanks for the input.

Unfo

"Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, I checked everything back to the tank. I bought a brand new, plastic gas tank. Used new fuel (with the additive), the hose from the tank to the engine is not clogged, and I made sure I had the tank vent open.

The problem has to be in the engine, I think. I'm planning on changing the fuel filter this weekend. Even though it may not matter, I'll also change the spark plugs."

"hi,i am getting problems with

"hi,i am getting problems with my bf 15,starts first time with choke full out,ok half in but dies when full in,i have cleaned out the carb to no avail,starts and runs ok if you put your fingers slightly spread over the air intake but dies when you remove fingers,this has happened twice before but seemed to rectify itself for some reason,first time i accidently put fingers over the breather and revs died down and ran for about 6 months trouble free,second time i went home ,came back next day and it had cleared,i dont think it is very much but you cannot rely on it at sea if it is going to give you bother at sea
thanks john"

"You may not find this reply h

"You may not find this reply helpful, but this sounds like a problem I had a couple years ago with my 2003 BF15. Took it to my dealer and they discovered worn insulation shorting out a wire on the electrical carburator control. Took them a while to find it because the controller is down under the flywheel (I think). Sorry I can't be more specific."

Back