Logo

Alarm Test

stillsearchin

"What a great board and a weal

"What a great board and a wealth of information. I have a '92 Johnson 90 hp that I recently bought. No problems, but was wondering if there is a way to test the engine temp/oil alarm system to ensure it is hooked up and working properly. I've tried a search, but can't seem to find any info. Thanks for any help."

"The warning horn should beep

"The warning horn should beep just once when the key is turned to the ON position. The horn itself and the wiring back to the heat warning sensors can be tested simply by having the key in the ON position, then grounding out either of the heat warning sensors at the terminal connection at the cylinder heads.

To actually test the heat warning sensors, that would require the removal of the sensors, heating them via hot water or another source and checking them with a ohm meter.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Joe,
Thanks for the tip. I p

"Joe,
Thanks for the tip. I performed the test you recommended by grounding out the heat warning sensor. There was a faint sound coming from the horn. It was barely audible. Would this suggest a bad horn, or could it be something else?"

"I'd assume a faulty horn.

"I'd assume a faulty horn.

Make sure that 12v is applied to it, then run a good ground wire from the TAN terminal connection of the horn to a good known ground.

If the sounding of the horn is the same as you describe above, replace the horn."

Back