Logo

Whats best metal for an oil pan in a chevy

leeroy

"Got holes in my oil pan on 35

"Got holes in my oil pan on 350 chevy, amazing how more oil pressure after a rebuild finds the old weaknesses!!

I've seen marine oil pans for sale as 14 gauge steel, 16 gauge steel, standard, chrome, painted and probably some others yet to find.

Is there any ones to avoid? or will they all do the same thing?

Any recommendations?
thanks
Lee."

"Cast aluminum seems to last f

"Cast aluminum seems to last forever. I know that's not on your list, but...

Jeff"

"Personally, I don't like

"Personally, I don't like aluminum. However, whichever type of steel pan I use, I make sure it has a few coats of good quality engine enamel on the outside. Then, once installed, I spray it thoroughly on the outside with Fluid Film so that it will resist corrosion."

rebuild has nothing to do with

rebuild has nothing to do with the leaks unless something assembled wrong. The pan should be vented on a boat through the breather tube on the valve cover therefore no pressure can build in the pan.

Cleaning the outside rust from

Cleaning the outside rust from the oil pan during an engine overhaul many times exposes a pinhole that you don't find about until the engine is back in the boat. Seen that a few times.

"As I'm going to have to l

"As I'm going to have to lift the engine to get the oil pan out, and the hole is very small...

What are your thoughts and experiences with sanding and patching with liquid metal or arildite (2 pack epoxy)?
Do you think it would hold? Has anybody ever done it?"

"You are best suited to determ

"You are best suited to determine whether it is worthwile to take the risk of doing a cheapy repair versus biting the bullet and getting it fixed for the rest of the time you own the boat. Presonally, I would replace the oil pan before the boating season starts. But if you want to go the cheap way, remember that it has to be spotless and completely degreased and dry if you expect the epoxy to adhere. Besides, what tells you that there will be no more pinholes showing up in the oil pan once you fix this one?"

"JUST GO TO A JUNK YARD AND PI

"JUST GO TO A JUNK YARD AND PICK ONE UP ODDS ARE THERE IS ONE ON A MOTOR AREADY OUT ,AS I SAY "A GOOD TATTOO IS NOT CHEAP AND A CHEAP TATTOO IS NOT GOOD""

"There are no "good" t

"There are no "good" tatoos.

Sometimes, I think some people aren't thinking what they're doing when they get those things burnt in.

Jeff"

"Have you had a look at produc

"Have you had a look at product called JB Weld. It is like a 2 part epoxy but for metal, I patched a steal oil pan with it once and worked great! Like El said though make sure it is spotless and remove all paint from the area you are applying to."

Back