Logo

What is the Normal running temp

luis

I just install a new tempature

I just install a new tempature gauge on my 1976 Johnson 85 Hp. After runinig for three hours the tempature reached no higher than 195 F. Is than running hot?? What is the normal temparture for this engine. I also just replaced the water pump.. If it's running hot what else should I check?

Thank you
Luis

"Explain (describe) wh

"Explain (describe) what type of sending unit you're using. Thermostat(s) open at approximately 143°/148° so the engine would run slightly higher.

You could also be having an encounter with faulty water deflectors, as follows:

(Water Deflectors)
(J. Reeves)

Water deflectors are actually lengths of 3/8" outside diameter rubber hose, installed between the top cylinder and any cylinder beneath it, and also between the bottom cylinder and the block. The purpose of the deflectors is to have the water follow a definite path around the cylinder walls. Unfortunately the deflectors between the cylinders will at times swell sideways due to either a previous bad overheating problem, or simply due to age and salt corrosion. This causes a water flow restriction which usually allows the water to cool sufficently at low rpms but not at the higher rpms.

This hose material can be purchased reasonably at any automotive parts type store if you care to make your own, or you can purchase individual deflectors at any Evinrude/Johnson dealership at a somewhat higher cost.

Removing and installing them can be a hassle at times, but not always. I use a sharply pointed scribe with about 1/4" of the tip bent at a right angle whereas I can reach in, jab the tip sideways into the rubber, then yank it out. It's necessary to clean the seating surfaces where the ruber contacts the block with a small rat tail file to eliminate salt deposits etc. When installing the new rubber deflector, coat the deflector and the metal surfaces with WD40 which will act as lubrication to allow it to go in as easily as possible.

Make sure that you insert something into that deflector area before cutting and installing the deflectors if you make your own so that you will be certain that they are the right length and also that they will be seated properly. Usually a very small amount will be left extending about the block sealing area..... simply cut the excess off with a single edge razor blade.

When time permits, visit my store (copy/paste) at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"125---163----is considerd nor

"125---163----is considerd normal.......however........age.........has alot to do w/eng temp--i use a temp gun,to verify temps.175-180 is gettin warm--"

Back