Logo

1988 VRO 140 not charging

redfishking

I have a 1988 Evinrude 140hp V

I have a 1988 Evinrude 140hp VRO i checked at battery for a charge and there is none.Where at on the engine could i see if charging system is good.The engine is not original on this boat so im sure wiring is not factory.It has original engine harness so what wires should i check for charge amp/volts?Im not verry good with electrical stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Rick!!

"Rick.... Hopefully your rig h

"Rick.... Hopefully your rig has a tachometer installed, and if so, is it operational? And if not operational, has it performed normally in the past?"

No sir never has worked i got

No sir never has worked i got this boat as a project boat.Am just now getting to wiring.it runs great an all instruments work except Tach and Ampmeter

"(Testing Tachometer With

"(Testing Tachometer With Water Cooled Regulator/Rectifier)
(J. Reeves)

A quick check is to simply plug in a another new tachometer as a piece of test equipment. If the new tach works properly and the old tach didn't, obviously the old tach is faulty.... but usually boaters don't carry around a spare tach (see below).

A faulty rectifier wouldn't damage the tachometer, the tachometer simply wouldn't work. This is due to the fact that the tachometer operates off of the charging system and the rectifier converts AC voltage to DC voltage, enabling the charging system. A faulty rectifier disables the charging system, and the tachometer simply doesn't register.

However.... those water cooled regulator/rectifiers that are used on the 35 ampere charging systems (and some others) bring into play a different type problem, and as you've probably found out, they are really a pain to troubleshoot via the proper procedure. There's an easier way.

The tachometer sending/receiving setup operates off of the gray wire at the tachometer. That same gray wire exists at the engine wiring harness which is connected to the engine electrical terminal strip. You'll see that there is a gray wire leading from the regulator/rectifier to that terminal strip, and that there is another gray wire attached to it. That other gray wire is the wire leading to the tachometer which is the one you're looking for.

Remove that gray wire that leads to the tachometer. Now, find the two (2) yellow wires leading from the stator to that terminal strip. Hopefully one of them is either yellow/gray or is connected to a yellow/gray wire at the terminal strip. If so, connect the gray wire you removed previously to that yellow/gray terminal. Start the engine and check the tachometers operation, and if the tachometer operates as it should, then the regulator/rectifier is faulty and will require replacing. If the tachometer is still faulty, replace the tachometer.

If neither of the yellow wires from the stator is yellow/gray, and neither is attached to a yellow/gray wire, then attach that gray tachometer wire to either yellow stator wire, then the other yellow wire, checking the tachometer operation on both connections.

I've found this method to be a quick and efficient way of finding out which component is faulty.... the tachometer or the regulator/rectifier. It sounds drawn out but really only takes a very short time to run through. If the water cooled regulator/rectifier proves to be faulty, don't put off replacing it as they have been known to catch on fire with disastrous consequences.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Thanks for info Mr Reeves,Wea

"Thanks for info Mr Reeves,Weather is bad here so as soon as it clears up and i can get to my Boat i will sure try this.The Evinrude harness was never wired completely to my instrament panel so i will more than likely have to do that to make sure tach is wired up.The Temp guage doesnt work either(probably due to wiring) and ive noticed the trouble alarm is just hanging on the harness at Ignition switch.You wouldnt know or have a schematic that i can use as a guide to wire this would you?? Thanks Rick!(RedFish King!!)"

"Ok Mr Reeves i went out to ru

"Ok Mr Reeves i went out to run that electrical test you gave me and well i didnt because im not sure Tach and all is even wired right.Here is what i have.I have 8 wires at harness where it connects to console.At Ign switch- 1-Pur/white stripe to C(choke)1-blk/yell stripe to W 1 yell/red stripe to S(start) 1-red(batt) to B 1-blk to other W and 1 purple at IGN to fuel guage 1-Grey to Tach. now i have 1 Purple from harness to nothing and 1 Brown from harness to nothing.If i knew color code and all for engine harness at console i think i could wire but the original engine for boat was a Force and none of the wires on the schematic matches the Evinrude.Sure would apreciate some help again,Fishing season is here an Fish are callin me to come play allready!! HeHe!!! Thanks Rick!!"

Back