Logo

Merc 260 Cracked heads Options Please

bigblock4banger

Regular Contributor
"Weighing my options, maybe yo

"Weighing my options, maybe you guys can help. Both heads are cracked. Block & crankshaft look OK. I'm on a budget, but will spend money to get it set up right. I'm leaning towards getting fully dressed rebuilt heads from some of the web sights I've seen on the net. -Can anyone recommend a good place?- Its an 1987, 350 Chevy block, 1 piece rear seal. Heads are 14101083. Not to sure of the head volume, either 69 or 76cc. Block is going to the shop tomorrow, and I'm sure they will want to sell me a set of heads.
Thanks, Chris
www.members.aol.com/cdrr61/fwengine2.jpg""

Chris:

Hold off buying head

Chris:

Hold off buying heads until the block is magnifluxed for cracks. You may end up buying a longblock. Buying all your engine parts/work from one place simplifies any warranty claims you may have. Did the shop give you a lump sum rebuild cost or did they quote you a flat rate plus needed parts? You may come out ahead w/a longblock.

I seem to remember a post last year of an engine rebuild with parts from different suppliers and he had difficult with who had resposibility over the engine problem he had. A reputable rebuilder will back their work and his suppliers will back their parts.

Don't waste your time and

Don't waste your time and money on just replacing the heads--no way they only are damaged! Buy a new long block and you'll be money ahead in the end. Trust me on this!

Jeff

"Guy, you make a good point ab

"Guy, you make a good point about sticking with one supplier. I'll keep it in mind when I go to the shop. Thanks for the excellent links! Its ironic that my old boat has an excellent running 470 and that my trade-up boat has a worthless 350! But I'm sure everything will balance out in my boating universe.
Fastjeff-thanks for the response, but the block and crank look good. I think its worth a shot to at least get the block checked. The wear on the pistons, bore & bearings appear normal and minimal. In my research it seems the 083 heads are prone to this type of cracking.I'll update the results
Chris"

""the 083 heads are prone

""the 083 heads are prone to this type of cracking"

Good reason to go w/a reman. or new VORTEC engine.
snow.gif
"

Back