Logo

40 HP Johnson

"1) Recently purchased,40R

"1) Recently purchased,40R73D, powerhead appears to have too much crankshaft endfloat ie 0.020"+. Bearings seem ok, turns over. Broken thrust washer perhaps?
2) Can gearcase housing be exchanged with 2-piece housing from 40EL73D motor?
Thanks in anticipation."

"I don't fully understand

"I don't fully understand the question John. Both of those models are 1973 standard shift engines that have only one design lower unit.

If by "2-piece", you're speaking of the 5" high extension housing that converts a standard length shaft engine to long shaft.... then yes, the gearcase can be interchanged.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Thanks for your response Joe.

"Thanks for your response Joe. The 40R73D has a one piece gearcase while the 40EL73D has a gearcase that is split on its propshaft centreline, ie. bolts up as two pieces.
Any takes on my first query? Thanks again."

John.... The lower unit that D

John.... The lower unit that DOES NOT split at the propshaft center line.... Are you sure about that model number?

"Yip. Purchased 40R73D as an a

"Yip. Purchased 40R73D as an assembled unit, with one-piece lower unit which has broken anti-cavitation fin, want to replace this with a 40EL73D lower unit casing. I got a complete, but stripped, 40EL73D motor with the 40R73D purchase."

John---- They only had split &

John---- They only had split ( at the propshaft )cases on the 40hp in NORTH AMERICA.End float on the crank is OK.Perhaps different marketing where you are.Perhaps somebody " filled " in the bolt holes on the one to fool you. PICTURES POSTED of your lower units before I try to help more.

"Alaska Bob and Joe, I owe you

"Alaska Bob and Joe, I owe you guys a sincere apology, as when going to photograph my two lower units found they are BOTH split units. Feel like a real fool, however, thanks very much indeed for the guidance, much appreciated."

i have a 93 40hp johnson i am

i have a 93 40hp johnson i am trying to wire up a tilt/trim switch on the cowell of the motor i have a tilt switch in front of boat and on shifter already it has never had a switch on motor but has spot for it i thought i could wire into the wires coming from the other tilt switches i dont want to fry this new switch because it cost 40.00 can you please tell me how i need to wire it up thanks chris

"Chris..........

(Marin

"Chris..........

(MarineEngine.com - Properly Inserted Post)

Go back to the previous page and click on the "Start New Discussion" hyperlink that exists in the "Blue Border".

This will allow you to enter your question/post under your own title heading which will then appear at the top of the list.

As it now stands, your post is buried under the post of another member.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back