Logo

Shifting problem

skent

Going into reverse is smooth b

Going into reverse is smooth but to go forward I have to rev it up then a big clunk. (of course) This makes it very difficult to dock. Is this an adjustment problem or as I read in another post the shift spool? Is this an easy fix? I've no worked on boats before only autos.

"Scott,
Not knowing which

"Scott,
Not knowing which outdrive you have makes it a bit tougher, but you do in fact have an issue.My advice to you would be to let a repuatable merc mechanic look at your adjustments and have him set them for you if you never did this before.A few bucks here for his time is worth it compared to the beating you will do to the parts and boat.Next you could have the neutral delay switch shutting your engine down if you adjust the wrong way.Watch and learn from him.
If the problem continues from there then you need to pull the outdrive and go from there,but I would do the above first.........Todd"

"Todd, All I know is it's

"Todd, All I know is it's a 1999 mercruiser 3.0. I think I will take your advise. I also have a leak somewhere in the outdrive (oil trail on water while sitting in marina) so I'll let them look at that also. Maybe the water pump will need replaced too. While there in the area...Thanks"

"Ayuh,......

My 1st Guess i

"Ayuh,......

My 1st Guess is,...
Your lower shift cable needs to be Replaced......
I'd have All the Rubber parts replaced at the same time though,....
The rest of the Bellows are about Due anyways....."

"I had the same problem in my

"I had the same problem in my boat,mine would shift in rev great but not forward I took off my outdrive and it was just the set screw on the cable was loose, i just tightin it back up and put a new piece of wire and now it works great."

Back