Logo

Help too much or not

gonefishing

I have just assembled the powe

I have just assembled the power head of my evinrude 60hp and i am worried I might have put too much sealant between the cyclinder block and the crankcase cover. Can anyone advise me if too much sealant can cause any problems. Advise from all you learned ones would be much appreciated.

"This is a metal to metal join

"This is a metal to metal joint! Most if not all of the sealer SHOULD SQUEEZE OUT.A 1/16" bead of sealer is all you need.You need to use the correct sealer, that is one with little or no " filler " such as OMC gel seal or loctite 518 ."

"if u used the items he listed

"if u used the items he listed u r ok....if u used another type.......it may stick,and cause some type of prob...the items,..r the only ones to be used for that,....and must be."

"Thanks the advice is much app

"Thanks the advice is much appreciated, unfortunately omc gel seal is not available where I live and I used a sealant called red devil which is a silcone base gasket sealer. I will try and get loctite 518 and redo the job as I dont want any problems as I have rebored and fitted new pistons and bearings."

Silicone sealer is not much go

Silicone sealer is not much good when gasoline is involved.Give yourself a pat on the back for following the advice given here.Many doubt the topnotch advice given here.Every now and then a wise beginner comes along.

"GelSeal and the equivalent su

"GelSeal and the equivalent substance LocTite 518 creates a sealing condition due to the absence of air. What remains of the substance after torquing the retaining bolts, as you may have noticed during disasembly, is a very thin almost clear sheet of sealant.

There is a removing substance to remove that old sheet but I have found that it can also be removed by carefully using a sharp putty knife like tool. Just be carefull not to actually scrape into the aluminum surface.

There are various methods to applying this sealer. My method is to apply a thin bead of the sealant from one end of the crankcase to the other, then spreading it around with ones finger so that it encompasses all of the bolt holes.

Make sure that you do not apply the substance any closer than 1/4" to the Main Bearing areas or to the Taper Pin holes.

As mentioned above, the substance seals with the absence of air, meaning that as soon as you set the other half of the crancase in place, the substance starts to slowly take effect. So plan your job so that once you start this portion of the rebuild, you follow straight thru to the finish (all bolts tight and torqued).

The sealer substance that squeezes out internally will not harden as it will still be exposed to air. This will simply blow out the exhaust as the engine runs. The excess that squeezes out externally.... simply scrape/wipe it off to eliminate the gooey appearance.

The silicone route..... as London states, a waste of time and a substance to avoid.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Once again thanks for all the

"Once again thanks for all the advise, I have managed to get some locite 518 and I am busy cleaning off the silcone sealer I had used. Is there anything special I must use to clean the surfaces before applying the loctite?"

Use a razor / scraper or other

Use a razor / scraper or other flat knife to scrape and make sure all dirt and imperfections are gone.I use laquer thinner to wipe the surface before putting on the sealer.SURFACES MUST BE CLEAN!!

Back