Logo

OEM or AFTERMARKET

m_merkelt

I have a 1999 Bayliner 2855 wi

I have a 1999 Bayliner 2855 with a 7.4 I was told that the manifolds are leaking and caused the bolts to rust out. Labor would be about 8 hours to cut the bolt heads off and install new manifolds. Is this the only way to get the manifolds off? Also should I go aftermarket or OEM. Are aftermarket manifolds as good as OEM?
Thanks Mike

Welcome Michael:

Four hours

Welcome Michael:

Four hours per manifold to cut off the bolt heads and remove the old and install new mans. is reasonable especially if the bolts break off at the head where more labor is required to drill and tap the broken bolts. That may be the reason for the 8 hr. labor estimate.

GLM manifolds are a decent aftermarket part. The design of the exhaust manifold separates the individual exhaust pulses. Since I am not an engineer I have no knowledge on the effect of this feature.

"Ayuh,....

If you're Pa

"Ayuh,....

If you're Paying somebody to do the Work,.....
You should be buying your parts from the Same Vendor......

You wouldn't bring your Own ground beef to McDonalds would you,..??..??"

Bondo
The plan is to install

Bondo
The plan is to install the manifolds myself. The repair shop did give me the choice to go OEM or aftermarket. This is not about McDonalds!!
Thanks Mike

"We sell both OEM and aftermar

"We sell both OEM and aftermarket (Sierra, OSCO, and BARR) and we get very few complaints about either.

The aftermarket manifolds generally have a better warranty than the OEM, and are usually less expensive."

Back