Logo

NO OIL PRESSURE OR FLOW

bobkoss

"History: I purchased a 1989 S

"History: I purchased a 1989 Slickcraft as a project boat. It had been sitting for almost 3 years with the engine out and dissembled due to a dropped valve. All of the engine part where suppose to be in the boxes that came with the boat. (No Way). Rather then deal with the original engine I purchased a long block 350 marine engine from S&S Rebuilt Engines. After dealing with all the missing and wrong parts the engine is finally assembled and in the boat. Following the advice of this group I borrowed an Oil Pump Priming Tool from Auto Zone. Using the tool, following the provided instruction, I have not been able to get oil pressure. At this point I am not sure if I have a major problem or if I am not using the tool properly.

Using the tool: I marked and removed the distributor. Then inserted and clamped the priming tool into the distributor port. I attached a variable speed electric drill motor and attempted to pump oil. I ran the drill for approx. 3 minutes with no oil flow.

Trouble Shooting: I removed the drill and unclamped the tool. Then removed the top plate from the tool and found that I could insert the tool deeper in the distributor port but at a slight angle. I tried to pump oil in this position but no oil flow. With the help of a bright flash light I could see the slotted end of the oil pump shaft at the bottom of the distributor port.

Observations: The sleeve above the oil pump slotted shaft looks smaller then the diameter of the diameter of the priming tool. I do not know if the priming tool is engaging the slot of the oil pump shaft. Also, I don’t know why the priming tool wants to seat at an angle. To complicate and confuse me more the base diameter of the Thunderbolt IV distributor is much larger then the sleeve above the oil pump slotted shaft and could never engage the slot.

Questions: Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? (Other then being over me head in this project). Do I have a major problem? Am I using the priming tool wrong? Is there another way to prime the new engine for it 1st startup? Does the Thunderbolt IV distributor require a special oil pump?

As always, any help would be appreciated.
OVER MY HEAD AND GETTING FRUSTRATED.
Bob"

"not familiar with your tool,

"not familiar with your tool, but the basic idea is to spin the shaft. you must engage the slot, and spin clockwise. I assume you attach a drill. pressure should come up fairly quickly. 4-5 seconds. my tool is an old distributer, cut down, but anything that will spin the pump will do."

"Thanks Scott & Bill
Many

"Thanks Scott & Bill
Many years ago my father told me that "Stupidity should be painful"
I found the cause of my problem, a missing oil pump shaft extension. (Stupid, stupid).
Unless someone can tell me that it can be installed without dropping the oil pan it looks like next weekend I will be pulling the engine.
I think I know the answer to this question, but I will ask anyway. Can the oil pump staff extension on a 350 small block be installed without dropping the oil pan??
As always, any help is appreciated.
Bob"

"if the sleeve is on the pump

"if the sleeve is on the pump shaft, I think so. I don't think the sleeve will fit from above. hate to say it, but glad you found out before running engine. if you don't have 100% confidence in the pump, pull the pan. too much at risk. good luck, S."

"Thanks again Bill & Scott

"Thanks again Bill & Scott
While I was buying the oil pump shaft extension the clerk asked if the end of my distributor was steel or nylon. I told him that is was steel and I ended up with a shaft extension with a steel sleeve assembled to the end. The steel sleeve prevents me from installing the extension from the top. This morning found that there is a shaft extension and a nylon sleeve listed in the Mercruser Parts List. I think the store clerk asked the wrong question.
Can anyone tell me if the nylon sleeve is assembled to the oil pump can a shaft extension without a sleeve be installed from the top, with dropping the oil pan?"

"Thanks Jeff,
Nothing to loos

"Thanks Jeff,
Nothing to loose but time, but if succesfull it will save the time of pulling the engine. I put the nylon sleeve on the oil pump shaft when I was building-up the long block but missed the fact that an extension was needed. (Studid, Stupid) Should have read the service manual. I have a long magnet and a pair of 12" needle nose pliers. One of them should work.
Bob"

"The 12" needle nose plier

"The 12" needle nose pliers worked great. Thank goodness I installed the nylon sleeve. The shaft extension went in with no problems. However, like everything else with this project, one fix lead to another problem.
The priming tool from Auto Zone was defective and would not engage properly. I exchanged it today and will be able to prime the engine and hopefully get it running this weekend."

"Great! Count your lucky <[im

"Great! Count your lucky
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
snow.gif
"

Back