Logo

Evinrude stator questions

hercules

"Not sure what happened to my

"Not sure what happened to my last post. I need to know if there is a way to check AC voltage from stator. Working on a 1977 Evinrude 85 HP. I think I just connect at yellow/strip and yellow wire from the stator with ac voltage tester, is this correct? Can I also connect to the brown and brown yellow to the power pack for the same test? I am also not sure about the hookup, just to both wires or from one to ground through the meter, also what volts will get at cranking speed? Any help would be great, I have done all ohm resistance tests for stator/sensers and they check out fine. I have weak spark with plugs out and fresh battery at cranking speed. I think I have it narrowed down to the power pack, but this last test should confirm, I think. thanks Larry"

"if u have spark at all,on all

"if u have spark at all,on all 4.....the pack is good....period!.......weak spark------would suggest.......voltage supplied to IT......is not sufficient.....but close.....get a FACTORY service manual....to guide u thru your testing.....
just a thought.....would be---- charge coils in stator are weak........not allowing enuf voltage.......been trapped by sensors before too....even when,all the testing BS,was within specs.........my thoughts are-----if the rest of the eng are in good shape.........and it might have older........or......original,....ign elect parts......i would replace timer base,..stator,......and get in working RIGHT......tomorrow.......not 6 wks from now......"

"3 things are relative,..to th

"3 things are relative,..to the stator,longevity,...
1. It cannot be shorted to ground.
2.It must,have continuity.
3.It cant be overheating..causing excessive voltage."

"Stator: Meter set to high ohm

"Stator: Meter set to high ohms. Ohm Meter black to a Yellow lead. Red meter lead to other Yellow lead. Reading should be 1.0 ohm +/- .2 ohms. There should be no readinbg between either Yellow lead and ground.

Meter set to high ohms. One meter lead connected to stator Brown lead, other meter lead connected to Brown/Yellow lead. Reading should be 630 ohms +/- 75 ohms.

Timer Base Sensors (White/Black stripe Black/White stripe). Ohm meter set to low ohms. One meter lead connected to White/Black lead, other meter lead connected to the Black/White stripe lead. Reading should be 8.5 ohms +/- 2.0 ohms. Repeat test on 2nd set of timer base sensor leads.

On high ohms, between any of the above wires and ground...... any reading indicates a short."

Back