Logo

1994 150 60 degree can it be converted to 175

ericv

"Looking at the parts, and the

"Looking at the parts, and the engines, the only difference I found in the 1994 Model are the Carb assemblies, and on some engine, the heads? All other major mechanical parts, electrical, etc appear to be the same (same part numbers). Can it be this easy to convert a 150 to 175?"

"Eric, any motor (group&#4

"Eric, any motor (group) that uses the same powerhead across a range of horsepower can be converted. Often though the cost is quite prohibitive compared to the difference in performance.

It is one thing if you have a motor with carbs that are totally shot, beyond a rebuild and require a new part installed and chucking up to many hundreds of dollars (for a multi-carb set-up) to squeeze 25 more horses out of a motor.

The difference between a 150 and 175 on most boats would be un-noticable (unless you lie to yourself). That would be an increase of about 17%. The average motor loses about 15% of it's horsepower in the summer because of an incorrect prop and old spark plugs. Investing your money in properly matched props and a yearly tune-up will provide the same results as minimally upping the horsepower.

What is your motivation? if you are looking for a performance difference you will see, forget playing around with 25 extra horses. 150 to 175 you won't notice, 150 to 225 or 250 you will.

If your boat isn't rated for 200+ horses, save your money on upgrade parts and instead use it for gas to enjoy the boat...

My 2 cents - and I have upgraded the horsepower for more than one guy with the result - regret they spent the money and didn't take my advice in the first place...."

"I understand the minimal diff

"I understand the minimal difference. One bank of My engine is in parts bags, and I noticed while digging for parts that the only parts that differed on my model in 150/175 was the carbs/jets...so I figured, while i'm looking for doing all this other work, might as well."

"Eric, The parts listings sho

"Eric, The parts listings show a different part number for the block on the 175, vs the 150HP. It likely has some differences in porting, and a 150HP block may or may not be modifiable to become a 175HP."

"i can modify the block!.....b

"i can modify the block!.....but....all the wk,..as GL said....does not pay off....been there.....done that BS....on about every eng...
if u need a bigger eng...and u r say.....running a 150.......get a 225......then,u get some diff....the 9.9 to 15 has been beat to death.....
simple fact--- a 9.9 is that....and a 15 is that......we can take a chev 305....and make it a 350------but,it wont be as good,in my opinion,.......as a 350....."

Best advice always is - don&#3

Best advice always is - don't underpower from the start. Was at a local boat show yesterday - all kinds of package deals - boats/trailers with the smallest outboard they can realistically get away with.

All that does is lead to disappointment and questions such as these about hopping up the horsepower.

"Thanks for all the input. Aft

"Thanks for all the input. After looking, I'm sure the runners are different in the intake area. Since I origionally posted, I've learned my block is junk, along with my crank, so I've got a couple of great paperweights. Looks like getting a few extra horsepower is the least of my worries at this point.

Anyone have a longblock laying around?... I'm off to troll the internet for a powerhead."

Back