Logo

1992 120 Lower unit installation

dmt

I'm having trouble trying

I'm having trouble trying to get the top of the shift rod to pass thru the shift rod seal in the upper housing.It is hitting the housing about 3/8 of an inch to the rear of where it should to pass thru.I tried turning the shift rod from one side to the other and completely around with no luck.What's the trick?THANKS

For one thing you should not t

For one thing you should not turn the rod as it affects shift adjustment! You just have to manouvre this thru that rubber bushing - nothing to it.

I was very careful to only tur

I was very careful to only turn the shift rod a 1/4 turn to one side then back to it's original position then a quarter turn the the other way and back etc.I hope this didn't change the hieght of the rod? I probably need another set of hands to guide the rod while I slide the lower unit on.I usually work alone.THANKS

"Maybe you aren't cussin e

"Maybe you aren't cussin enough. I did my 225's. total PIA. I kept figurin I was doing something wrong--just a poor design in my opinion. I took the LU bolts to a hardware store, bought a foot long version. Cut the heads off and made guide pins out of them. Much easier to line things up, especially when working alone. I also used a ratched strap over the powerhead and under the skeg and ratcheted them into place. My back ain't what it used to be!"

"Sleeper,Thanks,I was thinking

"Sleeper,Thanks,I was thinking about cutting threaded rod to use as guide pins.You've confirmed my thoughts.I also have a ratchet strap".Neccessity is the mother of invention", especially when you work alone."

"Don't know if your engine

"Don't know if your engine has the two piece removable shroud under the hood, but I am told the job is easier if you remove that too. Good luck!"

"I did remove the shroud to ma

"I did remove the shroud to make it easier.I put threaded rod in the two front bolt holes as guides,it helped alot and it's very close to going through but not quite.I'm sure it's something simple I'm not doing right?I also have a 115 mec that I've r+r'd the lower unit on, so far that was much easier.I agree with you on the design.I guess it would have been to difficult to make the bleepin hole a little bigger.Eventually I'll get it!I've got pretty bad arthritis in my shoulders so I can only go at for so long.Just to think that I used to be able to hang a motor without a lift makes me sick."

The manual clearly states &#34

The manual clearly states " make no forced assembly " on outboard motors.Put the hammer and other such tools away.You may have to rotate the flywheel slightly for this to slip together.If needs to be forced there is something wrong!

"I am not forcing any thing.I

"I am not forcing any thing.I am looking for a slip fit.The threaded rod is for line up only,like locating pins, no nuts or pressure being exerted by any thing other than by my hands.I'll probably wait until I get a helper to turn the flywheel so I can line up drive shaft splines .Thanks for the input.Just thought it would go as easy as my Merc had gone several times before."

"u def need to turn the flywhe

"u def need to turn the flywheel...have u got a starter switch...if your friend cant make it for a while.......w/key off,....hook to solenoid and bump,as u shove her up...that,is an absolute must...1 out of 30 times,we might get lucky...but those lower units are too heavy to gambel..or,pull the plug wires,and use the ign key,.. YOU ARE WANTING TO 'BUMP' ONLY."

Back