Logo

84 Johnson 99 bogging

sunnydude

I have an 84 9.9 that isn'

I have an 84 9.9 that isn't in the best shape. She idles fine but as you give it throttle it bogs down. Thought it was carb but after looking at it the Cam roller isn't even touching the black part of the retainer link assembly. The screw is stripped so adjusting the roller would need to be done with plyers. If i adjust the cam roller with screwdriver while the engine is running it will increase rpm no problem with no stumbling. Any thoughts?

"Scribe mark on cam should tou

"Scribe mark on cam should touch roller when mark is dead center of roller, not before or after.

Remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor."

Joe...is there an easy way to

Joe...is there an easy way to remove the carb or do I need to remove the wheel on top? DOn't see a way to get a socket on the right side bolt.

Thanks.

"As JWB states... "Careful

"As JWB states... "Carefully"!

Do not allow starter to rewind. Remove manual starter handle, then secure the cord to the manual starter housing so that it does not rewind. hold the starter housing together while loosening (but not fully removing) the starter retaining bolt..... just enough so that the starter is free from the casting.

After removing the starter assembly from the engine, and still holding the starter together with your hand, screw that retaining bolt all the way back thru it and secure it with a nut to keep it together.

To install, reverse the process, making sure that the flange on the bottom of the housing is engaged into the casting hole before attempting to tighten the retaining bolt.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back