Logo

MERCATHODE

bobkoss

"Can anyone tell me about the

"Can anyone tell me about the Mercathode System? What does it do? How does it do it? And, is it needed on a trailered boat that is normally in the water for less then a day at a time??
Thanks. Your help is appreciated.
Bob"

It is a cathodic protection sy

It is a cathodic protection system that uses minute electric current (millivolts) in conjunction w/a sacrificial annode to stop galvanic corrosion on the engine and outdrive. Your boat needs it even if it's trailered. The boats electrical systems ground to earth thru the engine and outdrive thereby passing electrical current thru them. The cathodic system prevents or counteracts galvanic corrosion (transfer of metals) when the boat is in the water. Don't disconnect it.

"Is the mecathode system more

"Is the mecathode system more than just a branded galvanic issolator?

Not sure i would worry about getting one if you are only in the water during use and not hooked up to dock power for extended periods. Certainly don't disconnect if you have one.

Read up on galvanic corrosion. My understanding is that galvanic corrosion is much more pronounced when hooked to 120v dock power. The ground wire for shore power may pass stray currrent through your boat on the way to the watere. Any stray currents eminating from your boat or anyone elses traveling to ground may ground through your boat and corrode your zincs and drive at a surprising rate. The dock grounds also effectively link all the boats together creating a battery effect in the water. Some docks power systems are designed to prevent this though.

The galvanic issolator (if thats what we are discussing) issolates your boat's ground from small random currents, but is designed to allow your ground shore power wire to take significant current in the event of a dangerous major fault (i.e. broken refrigerator et al).

Such is the world according to MistaHays"

"You were using the "TEXT

"You were using the "TEXT MODE" of spelling weren't you?
snow.gif
Four inches of snow fell last night with 27 F. deg. (the F. isn't for Fahrenheit, it's for Frigid
angry.gif
) and more predicted tomorrow night. Spring; where for art thou?
sun.gif
"

Spring is in Florida!!! 82 F d

Spring is in Florida!!! 82 F deg. partly cloudy.
Thanks for the information on the Mercathode System.
Bob

"Florida! Bah humbug! If the

"Florida! Bah humbug! If the country gets much more gas and hot air from the politicians, Florida will be under water when the polar caps melt.
snow.gif
The highrise buildings will make great fish attractors.
rofl.gif
"

"yup but untill then we will k

"yup but untill then we will keep boating all year round here in this great warm fish attrating state....
lol.gif
rofl.gif
"

"I dont know about you guys, I

"I dont know about you guys, I invited you all over for a few beers and a bit of boating and fishing and you preferd to stay on your side of the world and freeze.

I Not long ago moved my weekend office onto the warf at our local club where it will stay for the next few days, conditions, absolutly calm, currently 73Degree F at 10.06pm clear skies full moon, fish are biting, life is good in the land of Oz.
Dont worry Guy G, the ice caps will thaw and the tide will come in eventually in your part of the world.
rofl.gif

Oh by the way the Mercathode system is good as long as it is working properly, you can test for stray current using a good multimeter, I just cannot remember the figures right now, (old timers disease ) but if I can find them I will post it.

Cheers
Peter C"

you need a silver/silver chlor

you need a silver/silver chloride reference electrode and a multimeter to measure the potental of your boat. If you are running with aluminium as your least nobel metal (weakest)under water you need a reading of at least .97 volts its good to have 1.0 or greater. What corrosion is is the breaking down of metal through loss of electrons. The mercathode "fools" the metal by putting current in the water and keeping the electrons pinned to the weakest metal. This stuff can get mind numming if you have more questions ask.

Back