Logo

1995 70HP Evinrude Head Gasket Sealant amp Lower Crankshaft Gasket Seal

C

Clint Osteen

"I am in the process of rebuil

"I am in the process of rebuilding my 70HP outboard and I used Permatex Copper-Coat Sealant on both sides of an OEM BRP head gasket. Did I mess up? My block and head are aluminum. Should I use another readily available sealant from the auto parts store? Permatex 97? Permatex 2? I can still go back and fix this easily now. Also, any ideas on how the pull the lower crank seal out of the lower head? There are two in this piece and I am trying to pull the larger one out. without damaging the smaller one. Thanks in advance. This discussion board is awesome."

"Use no sealers at all on the

"Use no sealers at all on the cylinder head gaskets. The later manufactured gaskets have a shiney appearance to them which is actually a heat accuated sealer, and normally it states "use no sealer" of something similar right on the gasket.

The older manufactured head gaskets.... simply coat them with oil.

Sealers, other than the heat actuated sealant, interferes with the torquing process."

"Joe,

Thanks for the feedba

"Joe,

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds as if you would go to the trouble of buying a new head gasket and re-installing. This time with NO sealant of course. Can you confirm that? My head gasket had a dull gray appearance and was not shiny before I sprayed it. It was part of OEM BRP
gasket set p/n 0438904.

Also, what is an equivalent to OMC Gel-Seal II referenced in my Seloc manual. I am about to attach the crankcase to the block and this is an important seal and I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks a bunch,

Clint"

You need a sealer that has vir

You need a sealer that has virtually no " filler " in it.This sealer hopefully will all squeeze out so that you get a metal to metal joint.It just needs to fill and seal minor imperfections.You need to make sure the dowels engage the locating pins on the main bearings and that surfaces are meticulously clean. Loctite 518 is an equivalent.

One more thing!!!---- When you

One more thing!!!---- When you are busy putting the crankcase cover on the engine and the phone rings-------- just let it ring untill you are done torquing up the bolts!!!

Back