Logo

Honda 15HP

saved

Contributing Member
I am looking a buying a Honda

I am looking a buying a Honda engine. I would prefer a 20HP but I see that the 15HP is the same motor. I guess that the only difference is the tuning (carbs). Since there is a three hundred dollar difference from the 20 to the 15 would it be better to but the 15 and have the dealer upgrade the carbs for about hundred dollars or is there more to getting the extra 5HP out of the engine?

"John, my concern would be 2 t

"John, my concern would be 2 things with regards to this "dealer" who is willing to do this for you. First, 100 bucks is pretty cheap for a carb - even a used one, is this brand new stock?

Second, since in the US altering the horsepower of a motor is illegal, what would happen to your warranty??? You may save 200 bucks only to find out that you are on the hook for any repairs from day one. If the dealer says "no problem" I would get it in writing...

I would be very careful with this one....."

"Thank you for the information

"Thank you for the information. I did not know this was illegal, Wow. I guess I will just pay the difference if I decide to get the larger one. Also this is for a new engine. The dealer did not say that he would change the carb. He said he would re-jet it. I assume by your response he is trying to jerk me around. Correct? Thanks again."

"Yes John, the EPA laws make i

"Yes John, the EPA laws make it illegal to modify an outboard motor to produce more horsepower than what it was originally certified at because that would alter the amount of emissions it puts out.

This has also caused the builders to be more careful when they produce them. For years the 90 horse Merc produced about 100 horses - made it test well against the competition. However, with the new laws a 90 horse is only allowed to produce "x" emmissions, so now most motors are within 3-5% of actual marketed horsepower...."

Back