Logo

1994 Evinrude 150 bearings appear cracked

ericv

"I just stripped the powerhead

"I just stripped the powerhead, and opened the bottom of the case. (the engine leaned out on two cylinders, and one piston self destructed, one just burned) I'm prepping for a rebuild.

The question I have is about the main bearins, that appear to all have a 'crack' running across them (as seem with them in place). Could this be the result of the bad cylinders? I wouldn't think that two cylinders could crack all the mains, inlcuding the top?"

I think you need to take a sea

I think you need to take a seat and open a beer. How would those bearings be installed??????? Yes they are cracked when they are made.That is how it has been done for nearly 50 years.

"The crank is a one piece, and

"The crank is a one piece, and the bearings are 'cracked'at factory to be able to assemble. The same 'cracking' is done at the con-rods, be careful when assembling again. A special tool is recommended to get them correct, but it is possible to do without."

"Yeah, I just had that revelat

"Yeah, I just had that revelation, bear with me. I can build a mean small block ford, and I'm familure with fracture-fit rods. It's just been awhile since i've been inside an outboard. Maybe I'll lay off the caffine a little."

Back