Logo

Honda Stalled Twice any clues

N

New 4-stroke Owner

"I have a 2003 90hp Honda and

"I have a 2003 90hp Honda and just got it tuned up by a certified Honda marine mechanic. I also had an RPM gauge installed. The first time out, I had no problems at all. The second trip out, it started fine and I drove around slowly trying to meter fish. Then I took it WOT for the first time since my mechanic told me that I should find out what my WOT RPM was to make sure I had the correct prop. It ran well, hitting 6000 RPM. I then stopped and fished at three locations.

That's when I was unable to start the engine. It cranked very well since it had a new battery. I noticed that the engine would make a little noise when I pumped the gas lever to the top. Since it made more smoke/noise as the gas lever hit the top, I then pumped it hard several times while cranking, keeping that gas lever pumping from 90-100% near the top. It then started! I felt like I had unclogged the fuel line somewhere. Then we drove around more and it felt fine. I stopped the motor and started it and all was good. So we continued fishing again.

We fished three more spots and after fishing the third spot, it wouldn't start again. This time, I decided not to waste any time and do what worked last time -- pump the max gas while cranking. It didn't work this time. I kept trying and nothing would work. Then we decided to just crank it and not lift the gas lever at all. There was a slight change in the noise as I kept cranking. Then it slowly sped up and quietly started. Maybe I flooded it this time? We got it started and got the heck out of there.

I just took it to the shop again and it'll be a while before I hear from them since they are busy. I was curious if any of you Honda owners out there may know what the problem is. It had no problem running at low or high speeds, and only had a problem starting twice out of about 8 times that day.

Did running it at WOT loosen something to clog the fuel line? Did something happen during the last tuneup to cause debris to clog the fuel line? It ran well the first time out so I didn't think it had anything to do with the tuneup.

Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts."

"just a thought use the choke

"just a thought use the choke pull on the motor whilst you start it. The honda may have cooled right down they dont run very hot and because this is an automatic choke it seems to be better than using the choke from the forward controls which you can over rev your motor, be sure to push the choke back in once started ."

u also need to trim out the mo

u also need to trim out the motor while going WOT with a 75-80% load in the boat

what does the OWNERS MANUAL say how to start

Thanks for the info. The Owne

Thanks for the info. The Owners Manual says to lift the choke/idle lever to choke (high) if the engine is cold and to leave it down if the engine is warm. It also says not to crank the engine for more than 5 seconds at a time.

"The last few times I took the

"The last few times I took the boat out, I held the choke lever ALL the way up, and while holding it up, I cranked the motor. It seems to start pretty easy now. I guess you have to hold it all the way up when it's cold? I never did that before because I thought I would flood it. I guess it's ok. Is that what you guys do?"

Back