Logo

Shift cable

jeremy27

Regular Contributor
"hey this is my first post,I h

"hey this is my first post,I have a 1990 sting ray with a 5.0L v-8 in/outboard, it will not shift into forward but it will in rev,but i can adjust the cable that goes to the outdrive and it will shift into forward but not rev, someone told me it could be the shift cable to the outdrive,Do you think that this is the problem I don't want to fix that and that not be it."

The drive needs to be pulled t

The drive needs to be pulled to check the shift mech. and cable end. If it cannot be corrected there then it`s most likely a worn shift spool in the lower unit

"Is there a way to check it wi

"Is there a way to check it without taking off the outdrive.The man told me that because the motor would shut off sometimes when i would go from forward to neu or from rev to neu that the cable may be getting stuck,sorry so have said that the first time.I can hand shift the cable and it will shift into both forward and rev without shut off,when i do that the cable seems like it is at the end,it has to go all the way in and out to shift both forward and rev almost like you have to pull or push it all the way in or out.to get it to shift into anything."

thanks thas was what I was tol

thanks thas was what I was told but wanted to ask someone else before I went and replaced something that didn't need replaceing. thanks alot.

"but just in case how do you c

"but just in case how do you check the lower shift spool in the lower unit,without taking it off.thanks"

"Thats the same thing mine was

"Thats the same thing mine was doing i just replaced the cable over the winter and the dry dock type test is good, havent had it in water yet ohio is still cold. Get the special shift cable tool socket thing. I got mine at www.wholesalemarine.com it was cheap."

"did you do your's,if so i

"did you do your's,if so is it hard i've never worked on a boat but I do all the work to my cars and streetbike so I'm thinking i should be able to do it my self,any tips.thanks"

"Raymond
You forgot to mentio

"Raymond
You forgot to mention to hope like hell the end of the shift cable isnt siezed into the bell housing
angry.gif
That can make a realitivly easy job turn into a P.I.T.A.
Cheers
Peter C"

"its not bad but get instructi

"its not bad but get instructions for installing it. www.sterndrive.com helped me. You do need some tools. The socket i mentioned and i took mine off the gimble ring so you need the tool for that. The clymens manual is good source to. Patience and reading insturctions are important on this. If i were you and the bellows havent been done i would do them to. Tearing this thing down is something you dont want to do often. Check your gimble bearing while there to."

"Jeremy.
The best tip I can g

"Jeremy.
The best tip I can give you is to sit down with a manual and make sure you understand whats involved, it is not a complicated job to change a shift cable but you need to follow the manual for the first one you do.

When you remove the leg to change the cable CHECK EVERYTHING !!! Inspect your bellows and water intake hose, check and lubricate your driveshaft universals and if you can, visualy inspect your drive coupling, gimble bearing and everything you can see inside the bell housing.

Do not try and do the job when you are in a hurry, take your time
do it once, do it right.

Cheers
Peter C"

"thanks for the info I'm g

"thanks for the info I'm getting a buddy to come and help he has worked on other boat motors,But he has not worked on a mer before his is a volvo.But thanks alot"

"I took of my outdrive and it

"I took of my outdrive and it was the slide shift thing inside the outdrive,the cable goes in it,the set screw was loose and it had alot of slack.I screwed it in and put the wire back on and so far it works great."

Back