Logo

Water in 4 pistons

jsnookman02

I have stripped my 1981 small

I have stripped my 1981 small block 305 228 down to the pistons have checked intake and exhaust manifolds cant find leak would apprecate any ideas

"Jim...
"checked intake a

"Jim...
"checked intake and exhaust manifolds"
How about the cyl heads, cyl head gaskets and cyl walls for cracks. Warpped heads? Intake gaskets? All these could go bad and let water in. Are any of these water filled cyls beside each other that could indicate a common problem between them? Was the motor running and then quit due to hyd. lock-up in the cyls? Or was it sitting and now simply didn't start? Possible water went down the carb somehow during storage or vandalism? If water went down the carb, that may help explain why some cyls have water and others don't due to some intake valves open and some closed. If it was running and quit, you'll be looking at connecting rods as well (bent).

Wrench"

wrench the cylinders leaking a

wrench the cylinders leaking are all on lower gas deck 1 7 4 6 the 4 and 6 the worst also they are side by side we pressureized the manifolds both intake and exhaust we see no sign of crack in block or leaky gaskets its a real puzzel thanks jim

"If the water was in only one

"If the water was in only one bank of pistons then as Wrench said, check the riser itself and the upper part of the exhaust manifold for cracks between the water jacket and the exhaust area.

Seal the water inlet of the manifold and close the drain tight. Now duct tape the top of the exhaust manifold where it meets the riser. Place the manifold on a level surface and fill the water jacket with HOT water and see if water runs out the exhaust ports.

Plug the water oulets on the end of the riser with plumbers puddy and tape the other square end of the exhaust closed. Put it in a level upside-down position and fill the water jacket with hot water. Check for water coming out the tube end.

Take a sharpened #2 pencil and rub the side of the pencil graphite all over the gasket surface of the heads and the tops of the blocks. A hairline crack will show up when you rub the pencil markings off with a clean cloth."

Check the condition of the exh

Check the condition of the exhaust flappers; backwash could have gotten in thru the exhaust.

sure appreciate everybodys inp

sure appreciate everybodys input will continue by testing all that has been mentioned please keep ideas coming my brother swears its a warpped head how do you check this thanks jim

"Jim...
# 1,7,4,6 are all on

"Jim...
# 1,7,4,6 are all on the same plane of the intake manifold. Is there a crack (or pourous casting)inside the manifold , behind the thermostat, letting cooling water into the manifold? It can then get sucked to those 4 cyls without getting to the other ones.

Wrench"

wrench I have tested intake ma

wrench I have tested intake manifold cant find any leaks even put water under pressure I did the same to both manifolds the head looks good so do cylinder ??????? jim

Back