Logo

Motor size for savage

emj

"hey i have a 14ft fibreglass

"hey i have a 14ft fibreglass savage that used to have a 1968 65hp evinrude motor, which i was told weighs 225lbs. i dont know the engine weight capacity for the boat, so would you know if a 3cyl 2004 tohatsu 90hp outboard would be too heavy for it? thanks!"

"Emily...

I'm only gues

"Emily...

I'm only guessing, but I bet that the new motor probably weighs the same or even possibly less than the old 65 hp. They make everything smaller and lighter now than what they did back in the OLD days. More plastic, lighter metals. More hp out of a smaller package. Google the weight of the new motor and see what comes up. There is a guy in the forum called "Tohatsu Guru" and is posting like crazy in the Nissan Tohatsu Outboard pages. Ask him what he thinks.
There should be a plate attached to the back of the boat somewhere stating the max hp rating for the boat. Don't go too much over that for fear of running into safety problems. (althought my old ski boat is rated for 70 hp and I've had a 115 on it for 20 years) But ... I'm not giving you the OK to do the same. Its up to you to make that call.

Wrench"

"thanks for that, and just so

"thanks for that, and just so you know that OLD engine was fabulous! lol, it just happened to fall off the back of the transem into about 12meters of water
im actually looking at getting a 16ft cruisecraft with a mid-90s johnson 115hp outboard instead of just getting a new engine, its gonna cost me less to do it this way (and yep the cruisecraft is in great nick). do you know if its easy to get parts for? (note: i am in australia). thanks again for your advice.... oh and there was no max hp rating on the savage, looked like someone had been too lazy. ta"

"Mr Wrench sure is guessing!!!

"Mr Wrench sure is guessing!!! The 90 Tohatsu direct injection 2 stroke is listed at 315 lbs.And the fact is that MANY , MANY older outboards were lighter than the new modern motors.The new motors only " look " lighter because the package is smaller thanks to computer design. The " benefit " of that is they are harder to work on should the need arise.2 cents"

"Well... I find it odd that th

"Well... I find it odd that the newer something is, the heavier it gets, but if thats how it is , then thats how it is. I stand corrected.

Wrench"

"thanks for that guys, that ma

"thanks for that guys, that makes it way too heavy even if i was keeping the savage. ta"

Back