Logo

Water leak into boat when setting in water bellows suspect

D

David Ray

"Just found this forum and it

"Just found this forum and it looks great!

1990 21' SeaRay with 4.3L carb engine. It has started leaking water into boat from transom plate, but cannot identify exact spot with out removing a lot of stuff - hardly any space in engine compartment. It had done this once before when muskrats chewed on the shift cable bellows, but dealer took care of it that time. Since then it stays on HydroHoist, but it has been 7 years now.

I plan to pull what ever is necessary and do the job myself this time in near future (will put on trailer for this). I guess I would pull it apart, inspect, then obtain all needed parts and also install new water pickup impeller.

Is this a common problem over time? Any thing I need to be especially concerned about?

Is the Seloc manual really thorough enough? I am tired of buying shrink wrap (non-returnable) manuals and finding that details are vague/missing and often recommend taking it to dealer without giving any necessary information.

Thank you for any suggestions, warnings, etc you can provide. I am a good mechanic, but I really have not had to do much with the outdrive systems."

"7 years, your due for boot re

"7 years, your due for boot replacement,pull the drive and check the bellows
some places to leak from
exaust Y pipe
water inlet tube
bellows,shift boots
corroded hole thru transom plate
loose transom from wood rot"

"Bt Dr. is right. If you'

"Bt Dr. is right. If you've stored the OD in the up position alot you put a set in it the opposite of the way it is made which would weaken the bellows and produce cracks in it. Replace all rubber and shift cable, inspect and lube U-joints and gimbal bearing. Clean and inspect the engine coupler for rounded splines--if you find worn splines, check the engine mounts for rot. Engine needs to come out to replace the coupler."

"Well, I got registered to thi

"Well, I got registered to this forum now, but I see it changed my user name appearance somewhat. I can live with that.

Thanks for all the above replies. I downloaded the sterndrive PDF that wish2fish gave, and it may have enough info I can delay actual purchase of a manual. Maybe not.

Until I get the boat hauled and start pulling parts, I do not know exactly what I am getting into from just reading, but it seems that replacing the shift cable bellows is the more difficult task. One question on this - the manual suggests the new bellows must be crimped about the cable. What size and type crimp is involved? I could perhaps go ahead and get the special tool(if needed) and crimp rings to be ready. Other bellows fasteners were given as screw tightened bands. I will likely get the various bellows from a local boat dealer after I get all apart and inspecion.

Thanks again for the above and any additional tips you may send."

"[b]"the manual suggests t

""the manual suggests the new bellows must be crimped about the cable. What size and type crimp is involved?"

Ayuh,.....

A Good Quality Nylon Zip-tie will do the Job....."

Back