Logo

Stalling 1974 Evinrude 15hp Outboard

chopper

"Just got a 1974 Evinrude 15hp

"Just got a 1974 Evinrude 15hp Outboard. The outboard outwardly appears to be in good condition. Only visible concern is that the ignition coil is starting to expand from rust.

Anyway, I replaced the plugs and started the outboard up. It runs strong for about a minute then quits. Moving the choke helps keep the outboard running but it still eventually quits.

I’m guessing that it’s quitting because the fuel is being cut but I’m not an expert.

Do the fuel pumps in these outboards actually “pump” fuel, or are they just more of a filter? How can I check if the fuel pump is working properly?

If the ignition coils were shot, it wouldn’t start at all, right?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose/fix the stalling problem?"

"start by running a cylinder c

"start by running a cylinder compression check.I would expect to see around 75 to 95 psi on it.if comp is ok,and fairly even,...i would clean/rebuild the carb using new parts.Then i would do a thorugh tune up,consisting of new points,condensors,and plugs,sp plug wires if worn area's are present.The fuel pump, is a pump ,and has a filter screen behind the cap.I would replace it too!Replace obvious def coils.u have at least 3,and another for charging system if u have it.I highly recommend a manual,and save yourself alot of headaches,and use new parts where needed.The carb needs to be VERY clean,..all jets,orifices etc,must be able to flow fuel/air as designed.Ck the lower unit for water,..by removing the bottom drain pplug,(w/the eng in oper position) and let it drain..water would come out first.Install a new water pump KIT,in the lower unit,...if all of these things are done,and the internals of the engine/lower unit are still good,..it should run just fine."

Back