Logo

Replacing Alpha Gen I water pump

bloojeep

"I am in the process of replac

"I am in the process of replacing the water pump in my Alpha Gen. I outdrive. It's off a 1989 Sea Ray 190, 5.7L. I have the entire water pump removed and noticed that the lower drive shaft is able to move around side to side, including the tapered bearing that's right under the water pump base. It shifts, rotates the prop shaft, etc, but the sloppiness seems wrong to me. I have checked my Mercruiser outdrive manual, but I haven't found anything regarding this issue. I thought I would ask before proceeding with re-assembling. Thanks for your input!"

helical cut of gear loads bear

helical cut of gear loads bearing under power. I checked your profile. you should know this.

"Thank you for your response,

"Thank you for your response, although backhanded as it was. I thought I could get some friendly advice from some fellow boaters on this site, but alas, I was wrong. I will look elsewhere next time. Yes, I'm an engineer, but that doesn't mean that my expertise lies in drivetrain design. Think about that the next time you head to the proctologist for a headache."

"wew i guess scott hit a bad n

"wew i guess scott hit a bad nerve. please don't base you oppinion on one responce most of the people on here are not so smart assed...Sorry
"

"Yikes, I guess I did. anyway

"Yikes, I guess I did. anyway let me apologise personally. Aaron, please accept my apologies for my rudeness. this is a good place to come for help, I hope I haven't turned you off to it. my comment was unnecessary. again, sorry. S."

"[b]"but the sloppiness se

""but the sloppiness seems wrong to me."

Ayuh,....

But,.. When you put it all back together the Sloppiness will be Gone,...
Due to the support offered by the Rest of the assembley........"

"Thanks everyone! I usually d

"Thanks everyone! I usually don't fire back like that. I thought I could get a 'that is to be expected' or 'dig a little deeper'. Anyway, thanks again, and hopefully I'll get this new project on the water this summer. I have a 3 yr old itching to go boating again. Happy Boating to all!"

props to you for doing it your

props to you for doing it yourself.

can't wait to get my 3 year old out on the water this summer too.

Back