Logo

Battery NOT charging current from alternator not reaching battery

keithpb45

"I have a 1984 ski supreme wit

"I have a 1984 ski supreme with a 351 Ford. The alternator is putting out 14.5 volts, but at the battery I am getting only 11.9-11.95, no more. I have the small wire, not the big black or red wire, hooked up to the negative side of the battery and almost all gages are working. Should that small wire be on the positive side? How does the electricity from the alternator get from the alternator to the battery? What is the PATH. Does the little wire go to the negative side of the battery??? Is it possible I have a bad regulator. Where is it located. thank you, keith"

wow
i would take that wire of

wow
i would take that wire off and see where it goes
how did you test for 14.5 volts?

"Found the problem. The 8 piec

"Found the problem. The 8 piece rubber wire harness is 24 years old. It is a 7 male, 1 female piece that fits into a 7 female, 1 male piece near the rear of the engine. I cut each individual wire and butt connected them together. It appeared the electricity that the ORANGE wire carried from the alternator was not getting through the harness for one reason or another. Looks like there was a loose copper, (now corroded green)tooth. I also did the same with the 8 wire rubber harness under the dash weeks earlier because it looked so corroded.

I also had a malfunctioning gas gauge. I removed another two piece rubber connector near the gas tank that looked corroded, directly wired the red to red and black to black with butt connectors, and also moved the ground wire one over on the main bus board under the dash. Gas gauge now works too. make sure to wrap the butt connectors well with black electrical tape as well to keep out moisture. You can also use the type that shrink around the wire when heat is applied, but they are more expensive.

For you out there with old boats, check the rubber wire harnesses first. Sometimes you can feel the teeth wiggle and you can tell the connection is not proper. Just bypass the harness and connect each wire (by using butt connectors) of the same color to each other and tape with electrical tape or once again, use the trye of connectors that shrink with heat application to keep out moisture. Save the rubber wire harness to teach your friends!"

"[b]<[img]"http://www.marineen

"
question.gif
Hi all, I have an '84 Ski-Supreme & I think the altenator (a motorola)is gone. Is there a REAL difference between one I can get for my R/B 351 at an autoparts store, vs. a more expensive marine altenator? $230 is pretty steep for me at this time....but if its whats needed, I'll have to find a way.
"

"You may want to start a new t

"You may want to start a new thread on this to get more answers.

The difference in Marine alternators, starters, carburators, ignitions, etc it the spark protection to avoid blowing up your boat. I would stick with marine Coast Guard approved products"

"Make U Wet,

Here is a numb

"Make U Wet,

Here is a number for the guy I bought my new alternator from...his name is Jack Chamberlain and he is in Orlando. 800.262.2929. I paid, I think...$179.00. DO NOT BUY ONE FROM AN Auto Parts store!!! Only Marine. Actually I still have my old one that is good. I thought that was the problem, but it was a wire...Would you want to buy it? $75.00 plus the shipping...

Otherwise, call Jack, he's the best and deals only in PCM's, Ski Supremes, Ski Nautiques, etc. My number is 561.502.4909.

Best wishes...

Keith"

"Hi, I bought both an alternat

"Hi, I bought both an alternator and starter on e-bay from "DB Electrical"..They were both new and marine grade. Also alot cheaper than buying from local marine shops.Parts have been running fine on my 5.7 mercruiser for three years now."

Back