Logo

Tohatsu 98 HP two stroke kicker prop

"Hi, I have a Tolman Skiff 22

"Hi, I have a Tolman Skiff 22 ft long. Its powered by a Honda 90. We have a 2001 Tohatsu Kicker on it for trolling and emergency power (we have only had to use it due to fouled prop and water in fuel).

Somebody told me you could buy props for a 2 stroke motor to get more of a high thrust appearance. The motor will push the boat to about 4.5 kts easy at one half throttle, which is all I need, and pushing the throttle up on the 9.8 makes a lot of noise, uses gas, and bubbles start shhowing up in the prop flow.

going slow is fine at 1/2 throttle except if I need to go into the wind....

does anybody know of a good prop I coul dput on this and do you think it would help at all or get more torque for going into the wind...??

Thanks Dave"

"Thanks Guru. I read the arti

"Thanks Guru. I read the article "just for kicks" from Trailer Boats Magazine. They had some opinions of Piranna, Solas, Tohatsu, Powertech and somebody else.

It made sense and now I know I am NOT going to buy a high thrust four stroke but may try to get more thrust from a lower pitch prop. I was hoping for a specific recommendation.

I love that Tohatsu. Its light and always started real easy although it gets next to no use as the Honda always fires... I've done a bad thing in never draining the fuel out over the years and I think I've gunked up the carb. I ordered a Factory Service manual off the site you rec yesterady and will try to clean it up this winter as well as change the water pump - which is original.

You have great answers Guru. A great service for us. I bought my motor off one of those two major Tohatsu on line dealers - I just forget which (it was 2001) ... I cant recall which...."

"Thanks. I bought the impelle

"Thanks. I bought the impeller kit, carb rebuild kit, and the 6.5 pitch prop online for $173. will let you know thoughts on the lower pitch prop as a kicker this spring. Great site."

"my service manual should be h

"my service manual should be here soon. I did recieve the water pump kit, 6.5 pitch prop, and car rebuild kit. If I had my book I could start on the water pump or carb...

waitng"

"bought carb kit, water pump k

"bought carb kit, water pump kit, and 6.5 prop from internet outboards... it came really fast.... (FL to NJ)

the manual was bought from online outboards (ebay purchase)

they said (on friday) that it was shipped and it'd be 3-4 days...

reading the SELOC Honda book now and tomorrow is a work day so its no big deal...

Thanks!"

"Guru,

I got my manual and

"Guru,

I got my manual and last night rebuilt the carb. Actually - I thought it was going to be majorly gunked up but after pulling off the float bowl most there was not really too much varnish in there. I've used it maybe a couple hours all told isince 2001 but never drained the fuel. The worst gunk was on the float bowl gasket lip. There was a little gritty off color stuff in the bottom of the bowl at the drain screw. I guess the rebuild kit was 50 bucks since it had the fuel pump assembly gaskets and all the bolts. It was very easy to do. Today I will try the impeller kit.

I did not order a new in line fuel filter... my question is can I just get one at a local autoparts store... is there something special about the Nissan / Tohatsu part? I've seen them listed frrom as low as 9.99 to over 20 dollars on line plus shipping... I cleaned out the 2.5 gal tank and want to test the motor out ...

I also changed the plugs and lubed it. Its easy to work on.

Thanks"

"Any generic 2-stroke fuel fil

"Any generic 2-stroke fuel filter will work. Beware 4-stroke filters as some will filter out pre-mix fuel. The only advantages to an OEM part are the assurance that it will fit and that it will provide a normal service life. You have to pay a premium for those assurances. Generic often works almost as well and is usually much less....But, that's the trade-off."

Thanks Guru. I never got back

Thanks Guru. I never got back to you but the prop you suggested worked great. No cavitation and it pushes our tolman skiff to hull speed at about half throttle. Thanks so much.

Dave

"Stop...My head is going to ex

"Stop...My head is going to explode
"

Back