Logo

Ford 302 problems

daniel240

"I picked up a 1975 trisonic w

"I picked up a 1975 trisonic with a mercruiser 888 ford 302. The previous owner did not winterize it last winter and when he got it out this past summer he realized it had a cracked right manifold. So he replaced that and when he started it up he said it had a lot of blow by. He said oil and smoke was coming out of the left valve cover. He took it out to see if it would clear up but it never did. He said he winterized it this winter. Thats all the information I got from him. It says it only has 480hrs on it. He said the boat ran great the summer before he didnt winterize it. So this weekend I changed the oil which looked good, except for being dirty. I pulled the plugs and they were all fouled. I tried to do a compression test and when I turned the motor over, oil shot out of 3 or 4 spark plug holes. This was after I changed the oil. I dont know if the previous owner put oil down the spark plug holes when he winterized it though. I decided to go ahead and pull the engine. So I pulled it and tore it down yesterday. 2 or 3 of the pistons had oil sitting on top of them when I pulled the heads. The only obvious thing I noticed was one of the intake valves had a crack/chip in it. The crank looked good and spun smoothly but the flywheel was slightly bent. The pistons looked ok and the cylinders looked good. The water ports had a lot of rust and corrosion in them. I know a little about engines and this is the first time I have ever messed with a marine engine. I had a guy that knows engines look at it and he said everything looked good. He said I could probably get by with just having the heads done and replacing that bad valve, re-ringing it and having the flywheel straightened. I just want to get some more opinions on here and see if there is anything else I need to check or worry about. Also where can I get a service manual for this engine? btw, the serial number is: 3977084. Thanks"

""He said I could probably

""He said I could probably get by with just having the heads done and replacing that bad valve, re-ringing it and having the flywheel straightened."

If the rings are bad after 480 hrs. then it would seem this engine was neglected over the last 32 years. The rest of the internally lubed parts may be in similar condition. Since the engine is nearly torn down I would have it remand.

Before doing anything else, check out the structural condition of the boat; transom, stringers and floor may be full of rot. Floatation foam may be water logged. The fuel tank, fuel fill and vent lines may be shot. Boat wiring has probably seen a better day.

Weigh all the problems and repair costs before going forward since it may be cheaper to buy another boat. BTDT.
sad.gif
"

"The boat is in excellent cond

"The boat is in excellent condition. All the interior has been redone and the boat has been garage kept. I removed the fuel tanks and lines and they are all clean and look good. I got the boat for almost nothing so whatever I spend on the motor is basically what I have in the boat. I only plan on keeping it a year or two if I get it running, then sell it."

"Welcome Daniel:

I see you

"Welcome Daniel:

I see you are from Indiana. I am in SW Ohio and it's cold today. Snow storm on its way tonight.

Based on your plans, an engine rebuild per your friend may just be all you need for the time you said you want to use it. W/the flywheel off, check the rear main seal for leakage. Inspect/replace all the bellows & water inlet hose for rot and cracks and check/replace the OD impeller."

Well I took the motor to a sho

Well I took the motor to a shop and they magnafluxed the block and found out the block is cracked. They said the crank was still good. They are going to see if they have an old block at the shop to sell me but they said I would need to buy new pistons if I went that route and it would cost me a lot more than what I was hopeing for. What would you all advise me to do? I was also thinking about just buying a 302 from someone parting out a vehicle but I dont know what differences are in the two motors other than the manifolds.

"Jasper Engines are way overpr

"Jasper Engines are way overpriced in my opinion. They are very good engines, but I just dont want to spend that much money."

Back