Logo

57 Merc

cj41foley

"Howdy fellas, I purchased a 1

"Howdy fellas, I purchased a 1988 Chapparal 200XLC about 6 months ago and was told that it only needed the distributor re-installed and new carb. hooked up. I did that stuff and motor cranks up and sounds mean. Sounds like it has a pretty good size cam in it. I noticed the motor had some blow by coming back thru the valve cover breathers. I took the boat out and got it in the water and thats when I realized the boat doesn't run good at all. It won't even get up on plane. The motor, under load, spits and sputters very badly. I'm thinking maybe it doesn't have a big cam, maybe it's just running badly, but when out of the water and hooked up to the hose the motor will rev up quick and smoothly. It will peg the tach out at 6000 rpm's and I know a stock 350 won't do that. I also noticed while in the water and driving that there was what appeared to be water coming out of the dipstick tube but when I got the boat back on the trailer and checked th oil it looked fine. I'm taking the motor out and rebuiling it before summer but is there anything else I should be checking out also? Thanks Fellas."

"[b]"It won't even get

""It won't even get up on plane. The motor, under load, spits and sputters very badly."

Ayuh,.....

It's Starving for Fuel......."

"Initially, your comments soun

"Initially, your comments sound like the engine has seen its better day. Do the basic tuneup and replace the fuel filters. Carb may need tweeked. What prop is on it? It may be undersized or slipping at the hub. Cold engines will produce moisture as a byproduct of combustion and then the moisture boils off the hot oil.

During the rebuild, use marine grade parts and also examine the engine coupler for worn splines--replace it if the splines are rounded on the edges.

Lastly, which should be first, check the boat structure for rot; transom, stringers and floor. Floatation foam may be water logged. Fuel tank and hoses and wiring need to be checked for serviceability--repair/replace as needed."

"it has a 21 pitch prop, don&#

"it has a 21 pitch prop, don't know the actual size, I'm new to the boating world, well kinda, I've ran a 17' fishing boat with a 70 on it for years but never did anything with a I/O"

"Like Bondo said:

"Ayuh

"Like Bondo said:

"Ayuh,.....

It's Starving for Fuel......."

Check the fuel supply route, change filters, check carb float setting and accellerator pump setting. If pump is adjustable, set it for the longest stroke."

"I bought a 1988 Chaparral 200

"I bought a 1988 Chaparral 200XLC for $2,900. It looks very good, but needs the motor built. No problem since my dad has been a GM mechanic and master tech for like 30 years. I want the boat to be pretty quick but can't afford a real gas hogg. I'm sure it'd take a pretty strong motor to make the boat run at least 60 or 65mph. I'd probably be doing good to get into the 50's with a stock 5.7. I guess I just need to build it and go from there. Maybe a decent little towing cam for torque and some head work to let it flow. The boat already has the thru hull exhaust and sounds mean. I just wanna go ahead and get it ready for summer."

If it already has a 4 BBL carb

If it already has a 4 BBL carb. then it should be running in the top end of WOT of 4800 RPMs if it has the right prop.

"Get the fuel issue solved and

"Get the fuel issue solved and she'll run.
The prop finder attached can get you the prop needed. Select the boat type, insert the weight, RPMs etc. to get the right prop.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_msexcel.gif""" align=left alt=""application/vnd.ms-excel"">prop finder
[url=""][b]Copy of Boat_Speed_Finder-79780.xls[/b][/url] (22.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

""I took the boat out and

""I took the boat out and got it in the water and thats when I realized the boat doesn't run good at all. It won't even get up on plane. The motor, under load, spits and sputters very badly."

Might be a dumb quesiton but i'll ask it anyway. Do you have the firing order and timing advance correct?"

Back