Logo

2001 50L Mercruiser EFI Smoking during warmup Black and Sooty

robgauthier

"Just bought a 2001 Campion 92

"Just bought a 2001 Campion 925 with twin 5.0L EFI in September. The starboard engine seems to smoke quite a bit and run a little rough. Appears to be black and sooty, almost as if it is running rich. I switched the cold start sensor from the port engine, but it didn't resolve my problem. Any ideas? Would a computerized engine diagnostic tell the tale or is this a waste of time and money? Currently in winter storage, but looking forward to the spring.

Thanks,

Rob"

Poor injector spray pattern co

Poor injector spray pattern could result in unatomized fuel in the combustion chamber and result in a flooding condition. A dirty intake throttle plate and chamber will also affect the air/fuel mixture at idle. Clean the throttle body (TB) with TB cleaner and NOT carb cleaner. Empty the cannister fuel filter and fill it with SEA FOAM to clean the injectors. Clean/replace the spark plugs before starting.

I doubt seriously that you hav

I doubt seriously that you have injector spray pattern or dirt problems althought what Guy is suggesting can always help.

Do this: Find a vaccum line or a small port on the plenum and open it during warm up. The vac leak should lean things out and smooth out the idle/smoke issue. We can go from there with the dignosis.

Is there an air mass sensor on these engines?

"What do mean "I changed t

"What do mean "I changed the Cold Start Sensor"? Marine engines don't have a cold start sensor.

The key to diagnosing a rich condition on a computer controlled engine is to first determine if it's mechanical (leaking injector, high fuel pressure, ect.) or if it's being "driven" rich by the ECM because it's getting bad information (bad sensor).

Have you checked for trouble codes?

Dave"

Back