Logo

Replacing an alpha 1 gen 1 with a counter SE out drive

srdancer90

Regular Contributor
I have a pair of alpha 1 gen 1

I have a pair of alpha 1 gen 1 drives on my 1990 280 sea ray. I am interested in replacing the port drive with a counter rotating drive. Does any one know if this replacement wil inable me to back up int a slip easier. (I am terrible at it.) Also does any one know or have first hand knowledge of SE (sterndrive engeneering) parts compatibility to mercruiser parts?

Hi Joe:

Is the engine count

Hi Joe:

Is the engine counter rotating? Many guys have stated the SE drive is a quality drive but the finish paint is powder coat and may not hold up well in a salt environment.

i thought powder coat was good

i thought powder coat was good for salt water..huh guess i learned something new today....kewl

"backing would be somewhat eas

"backing would be somewhat easier. stern won't have thge tendency to pull to one side when backing. most people that have trouble backing are using too much throttle. leave engines at idle speed, and just use shifting. take your time, and practice. you'll get better in time. the powder coat finish on the S.E. drives tends to peel off in sheets in short order, leaving bare metal exposed. same on V.P. props. powder coat may be great above waterline, but doesn't stand up to immersion."

"compatability fine. have had

"compatability fine. have had no mechanical problems. good warranty. if you don't mind the "made in china" then go for it, and be prepared to repaint."

"XL shirts that shrink to medi

"XL shirts that shrink to medium.
Kids toys painted with lead base paint.
PC power supply that is burned out in the box.
U joints that fail in 2 days.
Alternators fail in weeks.
Bearings fail in days.
Shoes that melt when wet.
Remember the Dodge 4X4 recall for wheels falling off? Ball joints made in China and Mexico.
12V battery that are dead on the shelf.
ON-AND-ON
If you gave me ANYTHING made in China, I would not accept it because it would be a waste of my time just installing it! Who ever sends their product to China is doing it for the cheap labor AND the quality control is NONEXISTANT.
Beware and good luck, you will need it!"

"The world according to union

"The world according to union Georgeofthejungle.

Not defending SEI, although i have had one of their drives with no issues. But hopefully the folks at SEI are paying attention to design and process controls. Take for example cell phones. Most are manufactured successfully in china with western spec, process controls and QA."

"Not sure, but i would suggest

"Not sure, but i would suggest they might be "assembled" in the states from gears and castings made off shore. I put (no lies) THOUSANDS of miles on the one i bought... a counter drive alpha 1."

"Thanks for all the advice, no

"Thanks for all the advice, now I am working on my water pump in my alpha drive. Sterndrive.com states that when replacing the lower base plate that one has to use mercruiser perfect seal where the gaskets will be located and also on the o ring along the side of the water pump base. Has anyone ever done this, also is there a substitute for the Mercruiser perfect seal?"

"perfect seal, and O.M.C.gaske

"perfect seal, and O.M.C.gasket compound are about the same, if it's available. otherwise, permatex liquid. (aviation seal) works fine. for the o-ring, I assume you're talking about the small quad ring that seals the oil passage. it is normally glued to the lower, and nothing on top. anything that will stick it to the lower, and prevent it getting loose will work."

"Hi Scott, Thanks for the info

"Hi Scott, Thanks for the info on the perfect seal. However I am still confused about the placement of the compound on the lower water pump base assembly. Instructions state the
the water pump base assembly on the alpha drive is placed on top of a retainer ring which also sits upon a roller bering assembly in a manufactured housing within the lower drive.( The drive shaft comes through this bering assembly.) Where the retainer ring and bering is located there is a well that the lower bottom portion of the water pump assembly is placed within. The instructions that I have read ask that the lower rubber ring seal ( A rubber ring located under the water pump base assembly)be also coated with perfect seal. Is this the recommended procedure?"

"yes, if you are replacing the

"yes, if you are replacing the base. there are three water pump kits available.
1. impeller kit. has just impeller, wear plate, and gaskets.
2. w/upper housing. adds plastic housing, and cup.
3. w/housing, and base. complete pump.
it,s a good idea to replace the whole thing. the price difference between the kit w/upper hsng. and the whole pump isn't very much, and you are replacing the seals (contained in the base) at the same time.
if you're not seeing the retainer and o-ring' you haven't removed the base. it simply prys out with two screwdrivers. the o-ring is what is holding it in. the quad ring I mentioned before is the small one in the case next to the pump."

Back