Logo

Draft

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
i believe this means how much

i believe this means how much or how far your boat sits in the water. how do i find this out cause of the bigger motor and the extra weight from the new interior i want to know so i can figure out how much water i need and if my local water is deep enough...

"John...
I not sure... but ..

"John...
I not sure... but ... nobody knows for sure how many pounds were added to the back of your boat. Weigh your old motor cover and subtract it from the weight of your new plywood. The new motor weighs ??? more than the old one. I think you're going to be out of luck to find a math equation that will let you figure this out. Then what? dig the bottom of the lake out if its to shallow? I think you need to get a depth alarm and keep an eye on it. Where is the gas tank? If its in the back, you may want to move it to the front of the boat to level things out if you think there is too much weight back there. How much more could it weigh? couple hundred lbs.? 300? Thats the weight of a beer belly adult. Probably nothing to worry about.

Wrench"

not worried i just wanna know

not worried i just wanna know cause i'm going to new places and need to know how to figure out how much water depth i need

"John:

I agree w/Wrench.

"John:

I agree w/Wrench. The engine may weigh the same or less; it has an aluminum block to lessen the weight. I added 2 trolling batteries to my stern and moved the 30 gal. fuel tank a foot closer to the stern and can still boat in 2.5' of water--my boat weighs nearly 4,000 lbs. Just put the passengers up front if necessary."

"but how do i figure out how d

"but how do i figure out how deep of water i need cause i bought the boat used so i don't know how much i need at all. i never bottomed out before and don't want to either. please tell me how to figure out how much water i need... then i'll figure out if i want to move anything around
angry.gif
"

"John:

DON'T WORRY MAN!

"John:

DON'T WORRY MAN! Your boat will float and run in 3' of water w/use of the power tilt. You're not hauling iron ore so the boat's draft won't be 10'. Have a beer and relax--it will float.
sun.gif
"

"Hmmm
(L x W x H)/ 14

"Hmmm
(L x W x H)/ 144.errrrr drink a 6pack subtract 48oz. mult by Pi. opps, eat the pie.

Oh heck, back the boat down the ramp and put in the water. Get out of truck, drink beer. Look carefully at boat...
If you see that the boats draft exceeds the depth of the water, then..... YOU ARE AGROUND!
RULE 1. Do not toss out bear or whisky or picknic basket.
Rule 2. Start tossing out everything else until boat floats.
Rule 3. Find a deeper lake!
Rule 4. If the draft exceeds the freeboard, you are also SINKING!}"

ok lets get something strait..

ok lets get something strait... i know the boat will float no problem I've had it in the water plenty of times with more weight than i'm adding. my question is how do i figure out how much water i need so next weekend when i go out to a few new places i've never been i can watch my depth finder and know if i have enough water befor i drag

"[b]"ok lets get something

""ok lets get something strait... i know the boat will float no problem I've had it in the water plenty of times with more weight than i'm adding. my question is how do i figure out how much water i need so next weekend when i go out to a few new places i've never been i can watch my depth finder and know if i have enough water befor i drag"

Launch the boat........
Mark the water level on the Hull,..........
Pull the boat,......
Measure from the Mark at the water level on the boat, Down to the lowest part of the boat,.....

That's it's Draft......."

ok I figured it was something

ok I figured it was something simple but my mind just went blank and i just couldn't seem to figure it out I guess i was trying to make it harder than it was So sorry for the frustration and thanks for all your help

"John,

I agree with a few o

"John,

I agree with a few of the above particularly Bondo, but would suggest that what you're really interested in is a variation on a naval architechtural term of 'tons per inch imersion'. This is applied to large ships and isuseful to estimate how much they can be loaded with.

If you mark the waterline then add a weight of say 100 lbs, the difference, ie how much the draft increases would be a simi8lar figure. As you add load (fuel, water, people) you can then estimate the increased draft that will result.

But maybe you are over concerned?

Regards

David"

not really over concerned just

not really over concerned just wanted to make sure I could figure out the depth so I can go with my depth finder to new places

"Ayuh,.....

You can always

"Ayuh,.....

You can always do that the way I usually do,.....

Run Aground,.....
Then you Know you have to Add a half a foot to the Depth readings..........."

Back