Logo

Leaking gear lube 1998 alpha 1

konac

"presurre checked lower unit,r

"presurre checked lower unit,replaced reservoir,and reservoir hose. seems to loose fluid while running yet no oil slick in water. any suggestions?"

"-What p.s.i did you pressure

"-What p.s.i did you pressure test at?
-Did you do a vacuum test aswell?
-you should do both, first test at 5 p.s.i and then 5 inches of mercury (vacuum) then repeat at 12p.s.i. and 12"s of mercury
-Remove your prop aswell, see if t"

"What work was done last on th

"What work was done last on the OD before the leak started? A worn or misaligned "O" ring or other seal could be the problem. Check the screw hole bases of the vent and drain to see if there are old seals stuck which will cause a leak. You should see bare metal if the seals are all removed. Probe the screw bases w/a 2" slotted (flat blade) screwdriver.

I don't know your boat servicing experience. Your OD may not be leaking oil but has air in it. When the OD fluid is changed, oil is pumped into the OD thru the bottom drain screw hole until oil comes out the vent screw hole to decrease the possibility of air bubbles being trapped inside. This method does not garauntee that there will not be any trapped air in the OD but works well.

Filling from the vent screw will cause trapped air in the OD. It's best to know the exact oil capacity the OD requires to ensure the OD is full. If all of it won't go in then air is trapped.

When filling the reservior the hose can be reattached after oil starts to drip from it after the reservior is filled to its full level to prevent an air lock. Or you can reattach it, overfill the reservior a few ounces and wait for the OD to "burp" any air out thru the reservior."

"everything suggested but vacu

"everything suggested but vacuum check has been done.its bafling, to see no oil slick or oil in bildge.ive driven it off and on for 2 days and seems fine.custumer takes it home and 2 weeks later oil buzzer goes off.no milky oil in unit,no oil in bellows.always filled oil from bottom plug to the reservour."

Hi Guy
Its a 5.7 Merc Owner

Hi Guy
Its a 5.7 Merc Owner and from the land down under.i 2 have leg oil problem but looks like it`s overflowing out of the gear lube bottle
and into the bilge same are this dud but his gear oil is being suck out mine forced in most likely both is not good. ps alpha1 alpha1 gen 2 what the difference between them i also have the cracking up bellows .what do u think i should do the 5.7carb engine me being the new owner it is now 11 years old and is running well at 450 hrs
regards Mick.

"mickcc vic:

Welcome; since

"mickcc vic:

Welcome; since you have tagged onto the tail end of another's postings, please start a separate posting so all will see your dilemna.

"If it works, don't fix it." But, do perform all PM per the mfgr.'s recommendation. You could have a kinked OD oil line that's not allowing overflow oil back into the OD. Or the prev. owner did not add enough oil to the drive and did fill the reservior thus trapping an air bubble in the OD...NOT good. Check the hoses, drain and refill the OD properly. Alpha Gen I vs. Gen II differences; not sure but asume the Gen II hss a number of improvements built into it."

Back