Logo

Fixed one problem found another

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
"This 470 motor has been nothi

"This 470 motor has been nothing but a major headache. Finally got it running good, and now i find out the 40amp circuit breaker took a s..t. 45 dollars later and shes running again. Oh wait, now the shifter switch died. What the hell? So this is why they call boats money pits. Anyway, my question is, can you bypass that switch that is mounted on the top of the inner transon bracket? I think it is some kind of neutreal safety switch when you shift from foward to reverse.(2 wire switch)"

"Not a good idea to bypass thi

"Not a good idea to bypass this switch. Its called an interupt switch, do a search. It will kill the engine for a split second to allow the the sterndrive to release the gears and go into neutral from foward or reverse. Your switch may still be good but its indicating your lower shift cable is bad or the switch itself is out of adjustment. Plenty on this switch on the internet.
Chris"

"Chris is right on the money.

"Chris is right on the money. The adjustment process for the interupter switch is very specific. The mercruiser service manuals cover it pretty well. If you can't adjust it, you probably need shifter cables.

As i understand it, the switch randomly pulls spark from 2 cylinders for the purpose covered by Chris above. Its easy to test the switch btw."

Back