Logo

Replaceing oil pan on 350 motor in CC 251

J

John C Day

My oil pan has developed a sev

My oil pan has developed a sever leak and needs to be replaced. Can anyone help (info) with the removal and installation of this? I assume the motor and trans must be pulled. Can this be done while the boat is still in the water?
Thanks John

I pulled a 283 at a Marina whi

I pulled a 283 at a Marina while the boat was still in the water. You just need to clamp off the water intake hoses.

"Bill and Jeff, any suggestion

"Bill and Jeff, any suggestions as to the removal of the motor: ie; a hoist setup, things to be sure to do or not do? Or any place that has a description of removing an inboard. Thanks, John"

"When I had a motor blow in mu

"When I had a motor blow in mune, the marina used a fork lift with a long boom on it to pull the motor. In your case, perhaps you could get by with a tripod of 4 x 4s to lift it high enough to get under it.

If it were me, I'd pull the motor to be sure the pan went on correctly, and I'd check out the bearings at the same time.

Jeff"

"Many Marinas have fork lifts

"Many Marinas have fork lifts or boat lifts which could pull your motor. I was a rank amature and it wasn't too difficult. I photographed it pretty well so I could remember what went back where. I can't remember how we attached the chain to the motor, but I think it will be obvious. Hope that helps a little"

"Bill & Jeff, thanks again

"Bill & Jeff, thanks again. I was on the boat yesterday, crawling around in the bilge and it doesn't look real hard, I guess it's just a matter of doing it. John"

"John, just out of curiosity,

"John, just out of curiosity, why is the pan leaking? Once you have the engine pulled, what else will you do to it?"

"Bill, I bought this boat with

"Bill, I bought this boat with a rebuilt motor in it and a slow water leak. The pan must not be marine, ie alum., cast, etc, so it rusted on the bottom and has a hole or two in it, I think. The other possibility is a bad seal. Once pulled I'll check the crank, hoses etc. and clean the bilge. John"

"It will be interesting to see

"It will be interesting to see where the oil is coming from. I am not an expert, but haven't heard of oil pans rusting through. Could it be that the oil is leaking from the spin-on oil filter? What year is the boat? Is the slow water leak you mentioned from the boat hull or the engine?"

"Steel oil pans in boats DO ru

"Steel oil pans in boats DO rust through. That said, take a really good look at the rear main seal. In fact, I'd change it at the same time.

Jeff"

Back