Logo

Tohatsu 98 2005 Timing problem

quinn

I have a 2005 9.8 four stroke

I have a 2005 9.8 four stroke with electric start. The motor was working great until one day I slowed down to dock and the motor died.

I was unable to get the motor to crank for some time (maybe 30 min) and was eventually able to get it going by choking the motor and giving it a lot of gas but it would only run at high RPM. After reapeating this several times the motor "came back" and ran perfectly for the next few weeks.

The issue came back once again and I have been unable to get the motor to run at low idle. I can get it cranked and running at high RPM if I choke the motor to get it started as above.

I have tried new gas (and lines) several times and since the day I bought the motor I have used an external 10 micron filter in the fuel line as well as always using Sta-bil.

I have a little (very little) mechanical background and it "feels" like maybe a timing problem but I am not sure. If it is timing I am not sure how the timing is set or advanced on this motor but I am assuming there is a crank position sensor and the advance is done in the CPU -- hence no adjustment.

Any advice?

"Mr. Tohatsu Guru,

Thanks f

"Mr. Tohatsu Guru,

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot and reply later today with the results.

Thanks again."

Back