Logo

671 leaking fuel around head

P

pete bender

my 671 is leaking fuel around

my 671 is leaking fuel around the head at the back of the engine also my oil is awful thin engine misses until warms up then leaks fuel out between head and block blows black liquid out of flex pipe behind exh man. when first started

"Could be a head gasket, but i

"Could be a head gasket, but if you have diesel in your oil, it could definatly be a leaky fuel line fitting in the head, these periodictly happen due to improper installation. The copper fuel lines are very thin, and if not properly tightened (loose, or over tightened), a leak could have occured. Its not very likely that you are leaking fuel out your block, due to fact that there really is no place for fuel to "leak" per say. The black liquid is engine oil. Straight 40 weight oil is fairly thick, much thicker than your cars oil, so if you do believe there is fuel in the oil, discontinue use of engine, and get checked by a good detroit mechanic.

Best of Luck,
G.S."

i agree the detroit guy should

i agree the detroit guy should go and pressure up the fuel system from a hand pump then check the copper lines and the washers at the bottom of the fuel stands behind the pushrods.if fuel is going in the base it will push the oil up and out.

"I have a simmilar problem on

"I have a simmilar problem on my 16v 92TA. At first glance the fuel does look like it is coming out between the head and block, however looking closer I found what looks like a tell tell casted in the end cover. The fuel is coming out here and following the line between head and block. I suspect that the internal line is leaking and that this is a designed passage to indicate this. The manual which I have has no info on this. Can anyone help?"

"Pete:
Make sure the fuel fit

"Pete:
Make sure the fuel fittings going into the head aren't leaking. They normally don't leak fuel from between the head and block. You probably have an external leak somewhere that's leaking onto the block making it look that way.

I agree with the other statements of pressurizing the fuel system to look for fuel leaks under the valve cover. But, in a bind and not having a hand pump to put pressure on the fuel system, I HAVE just run the engine for a short period of time without the valve cover on to spot the fuel leak.

Does your engine smoke at all? Flex pipe behind the exhaust manifold...are you talking about your air box drain tube?

Anthony:
If you could get a picture of the "tell tell casted in the end cover" I could probably try to help you more. Right now I can't think of any reason fuel should be running anywhere near an end cover on a 16-92...on either the front OR rear bellhousing. Unless the fuel is leaking from one of the fittings on the end of the cylinder head....

A picture would definitely help."

Back