Logo

Replacement Steering Controls

bobkoss

"I need to replace the steerin

"I need to replace the steering cable on my project boat. The local Marine Trading Post recommends replacing my Rack & Pinion system with a rotary system.
Which is the better system??
My boat is a 1989 24' Slickcraft with power steering, and soon to be running (I hope) 5.7L rebuilt engine.
Bob"

rotary system:

"die c

rotary system:

"die cast zinc helm unit incorporates the new SSC62XX helical cable assembly for quick and easy installation. Dual cable helm also available for boats that exceed 50 mph or experience steering instabillity"

It sounds like an improved cable wound spool used 30+ years ago. Too new for me; don't like the sound of the "dual cable...50 mph". What's wrong w/a rack and pinion? Just my opinion. Somebody tell me different.

"Bob...
I'm not sure whic

"Bob...
I'm not sure which system is better. I do know that I had to change mine in my old boat about 2 years ago. A rotary one came out, and a rotary one went back in. I had to drill a few extra holes for the new hub it fit onto the dash, (template supplied), But it was pretty easy to do. My local marina sold me an Ultraflex unit for just over $200. They have offices in Seattle Wa. and Sarasota Fl. This went onto a 16 ft. ski boat with an outboard so I'm not sure about the differences of hooking onto power steering of an I/O. Works good.

Wrench"

Bob

Hang the expense and fe

Bob

Hang the expense and feed the cat another goldfish.

Convert it to hydraulic!!

Cheers
Peter C

"Peter,
Does the hydraulic sy

"Peter,
Does the hydraulic system mix with power steering?? Or are you suggesting getting rid of the power steering??
Bob"

Bob
Sorry about that Bob I st

Bob
Sorry about that Bob I stand guilty of 1/2 reading the question while I was 2/3rds asleep.
I missed the power steering bit.
I have had very little to do with that type of system so my best advice is to see if you can find a couple of people who have done the change over and get their opinions.
Sorry about that.
Cheers
Peter C

I converted my 1991 Bayliner T

I converted my 1991 Bayliner Trophy 2352 over to hydraulic steering. I used Teleflex Seastar system with a HH5271 Helm and an HC5328-125-8EM steering ram. It replaces the Mercruiser cable driven ram. It was about an $800 project but the big benefit is that you can now install a hydraulic autopilot which was my main reason for changing the system. I had a Raymarine SportPilot+ installed on the boat and had some issues with it so I decided to go with a Raymarine S1G autopilot.

Back