Logo

Questions about 96 Nissan 140

jetboy12

"I recently bought a 1996 Niss

"I recently bought a 1996 Nissan 140 and have a few questions. It has sat for awhile and needs a new water pump and a carb rebuild. Are these simple enough for a shade tree mechanic to do or should I have a mechanic look at it ? I have the Clymer book for it. Also it has some slight rust on the lower head bolts , is this a concern or pretty common ? Any help, tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks !"

"It's simple enough. On th

"It's simple enough. On the rust...Probably nothing. The Japanese usually use a high carbon steel that doesn't break, but it does rust. Conversely, U.S. built engines usually go with stainless bolts that break, but it does not rust."

"Guru, Thanks for the info, I

"Guru, Thanks for the info, I wasn't too worried about it. Nothing a wire brush can't handle. What about the carb job and water pump ? I have the repair manual."

"The waterpump is a simple pro

"The waterpump is a simple procedure. The carbs are simple, but require skill to reset and adjust"

"Guru,
Should I run some car

"Guru,
Should I run some carb treatment through it first ? If so what kind ? I've used the OMC Engine Tuner on my old outboard but also have seen the seafoam creep works good. I'm also wondering how to hook up my water pressure gauge. Any thoughts ? Thanks !"

"Carb treatment is good preven

"Carb treatment is good preventive, but a lousy repair. The only way to clean a carb is to remove it, take it apart, soak it in carb cleaner and put it back on. You can tap into the block for the wp gauge or put a tee inline coming off the pee indicator. The block will give you an accurate measurement of real pressue, but I favor the tee method due to simplicty. It will provide you with a low pressure reading and if it drops from that point you know you have a problem....But a wp gauge is unneccesary anyway has you have a buzzer that will go off if you start to get warm."

"Guru, Thanks for the info. I&

"Guru, Thanks for the info. I'll try tapping into the line for the wp gauge. The guy I bought the motor from said it was running a little rough because he hadn't started it in awhile. He said I should try some seafoam and new plugs first. Might give that a try."

Back