Logo

Info about sterndrives

leedhn

"I am looking at used Sea Ray

"I am looking at used Sea Ray 280 and 290 Sundancers. Can the group give me info about what cyl pressures I should see during survey compression test on the 4.3 and 5.0. Also is 270 hrs relatively low for overall life. What is the general history of these power plants, and last I was told there is a hour meter on the engine itself, or is it on a chip in the contol

Thanks"

"normal if their 2005`s maybe.

"normal if their 2005`s maybe.
ct should be around 120-150, depending on the compression ratio.a single 4.3 or 5.0 sounds a bit on the light side."

"Compression test should be pe

"Compression test should be performed on a warm engine; dry and wet tests should be performed. The compression numbers can range from 120-180
PSI; what is most important is that the numbers should be nearly the same on all cylinders with only a few PSI difference. If the wet test raises the numbers, the rings are questionable.

Both engines are tried and proven for 20+ years. An EFI 4.3L can put out 215 HP which is about what the 5.0L w/a carb can do.

Hour meters can be located in a single or multi-gauge (1 gauge w/temp, oil, volts, hours). Single gauges can be disconnected to keep the hours low and then reconnected. 270 hours isn't much time on an engine but the engine could be sh...t if it wasn't maintained properly; long oil change intervals on the engine and OD, waiting until the engine overheats before changing impellers. Service records can reveal alot about the care taken."

"[b]"Also is 270 hrs relat

""Also is 270 hrs relatively low for overall life."

Ayuh,.....

That would be about 10% of it's normally expected life,....
Provided it is Maintained Properly........"

Back