Logo

Mercruiser 30 I4 Info

"Can anyone tell me about this

"Can anyone tell me about this engine? More specifically, who makes it? Or can you point me to a thread on here discussing the engine?

The engine in its current configuration makes around 135 hp. What can be done to increase power?"

"[b]"Is the engine manufac

""Is the engine manufactured for marine purposes only "

Ayuh,.....Marine/ Industrial.......

Guy is Right,....
There Ain't No More Power to be had from it,....
If you don't like the Power,....
Trade up to another boat with a Bigger motor......

Btw,....
The 120hp is the 153cid little sister of the 181cid. 3.0l motor.......
Neither the 2.5l, or the 3.0l have been used in any automotive apps....."

"Thanks Bondo for the info. G

"Thanks Bondo for the info. Guy

My opinion when selecting a boat engine:

When ordering a new boat, determine what you want and ask the dealer to test drive a similar equipped boat; if you are happy with the boat's performance, sign the contract.

If you are not happy, find out what engine options are avilable and test drive boats with those engines until you find what makes you happy.

Don't allow the cost of fuel to influence your decision because the cost is always going to increase. If you are worried about engine cost, fuel cost and performance, then buy a canoe since the three go together.

When buying a used boat, it's obvious that you have only one choice; try it, buy it or not.

I plan on buying a new or nearly new boat in the near future. Whether it's an I/O or outboard, I will select a boat w/the largest HP engine that will perform satisfactorily for the most extreme boating condition that could arise, planned or not.

For example only, I would rather have a 350 HP engine lumbering along at 3,000 RPM while cruising than a 250 HP engine working its butt off at 4,000 RPM. The fuel consumption may be similar or not. But, the backup HP is always there when needed, espec. to get you off the water in a hurry when needed."

"Wow you really like to jump o

"Wow you really like to jump on someone for asking an innocent question.

Many engines are available with different cam profiles or a freer flowing manifold and carb setup. I was wondering if that was the case with the 3.0.

It's not my boat, it is my brothers boat. He just happened to get an extremely good deal on it and was wondering if he could get a few more hp out of it. Now I see 135 is the limit."

"Relax Adam; Jeff<[img]"http:/

"Relax Adam; Jeff
angry.gif
is always grumpy when he crawls out of his cave before spring. Jeff, you beat the groundhog this year;
snow.gif
get back to hibernating. We'll wake you when spring is here.
biggrin.gif
rofl.gif
crazy.gif
uhoh.gif

The only thing that may work is nitrous injection which is too dangerous and illegal; I think?"

"hey Bondo, find an old (6

"hey Bondo, find an old (60s) pontiac tempest, or chevy nova 4 cyl. and look under the hood. surprise!"

"Nope,..... No Surprize Scott,

"Nope,..... No Surprize Scott,....

I don't bother trying to muddy the water with false Hopes,....
After All,.....
Just how many 1963 Chevy IIs do you think are still sitting in Junkyards with Usable motors in them,..??..??...."

Back