Logo

Honda 75 Shifting Rod Question

beaver87

"I'm in the process of rep

"I'm in the process of replacing the tiller setting frame on my Honda 7.5 hp motor. The problem I've run into in that the shifting rod runs through a hole in the bracket and I'm not sure how to remover the shifting rod. I see the cotter pin at the shifter lever, but don't know if I need to disconnect the other end in the lower unit or is there another way. Any help or parts diagrams would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike"

"Thanks Just-In-Time for the l

"Thanks Just-In-Time for the link to boats.net. I went there and found lots of good information, but none of the diagrams showed the rod that goes from the shifter arm to the lower unit, at least I didn't find one. I'm guessing there must be a way to split it, a coupler or something, but I can't find it. I would think that it would be under the inspection plate below the mounting bracket, but I didn't see anything. I'm going to go after it again tonight and see what I can find. Not in a real big hurry, theres about 15" of snow outside right now. Again, thanks for your help. Mike"

"No I do not have the factory

"No I do not have the factory manual. I did go to th local library and look at one they had there. The only thing I could find was how to adjust the shifting rod, which was helpful. Only thing was I don't have an inspection plate like they show in the picture. This picture shows where the rod could be split by unscrewing it at a coupler. I went out and looked again last night and I can only see about a half inch of the rod below where the mounting bracket swivel is. Its got me fooled on how or where the rod comes apart. I may put a vise grip on the rod where it is exposed and then try turning the rod at the end where it connects to the shifting arm. I will disconnect from the shifting arm first of course. Thanks again for your help. Mike"

Back