Logo

AQ170B270T adding heat exchanger

kiwibrian

"Hi everyone, you've got a

"Hi everyone, you've got a newbie here, hoping to sound a few ideas. I've already followed El's advice on changing the drive bellows that had split, looked fairly awful inside, but the universals were incredibly smooth.

I've recently bought an old boat with an AQ170B, and am looking at adding a heat exchanger. This will mainly be used in salt water and I'm not too keen on the raw water in the engine. I live in New Zealand, land of the jet boat, which are all powered by converted auto engines, so a suitable exchanger is no problem.

Looking at the cooling system of this engine my pick is that the raw water system should be interupted between the oil cooler and the exhaust manifold to supply the exchanger.

It would be wise to keep the manifold raw water cooled, so the two copper pipes from the manifold to the thermostat housing should be interupted, and the two manifold connections joined together.

The fresh water side on the heat exchanger would be connected to the two connections on the thermostat housing; the cold side on the exchanger to the front most pipe, and the hot side to the left pipe.

Does this sound good to everyone?"

"G'day Brian,
I'm in

"G'day Brian,
I'm in Wellington and just bought a Heat Exchanger KIT for my VP 570A (Chevy 350) from Go2marine.com. Delivered to NZ withing a week, customs here then took another week, but still half the price of buying it here.
There are heaps of websites that sell kits that have pictures. Find your engine, then the kit and you should get some diagrams of the plumbing to help you. Have a look at: http://inetmarine.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=713
Also look at www.go2marine.com
I haven't fitted mine yet, this weekend, but I think my raw water goes directly into the sea water pump, then into the exchanger, then to the risers. No oil cooler.
good luck
Lee."

"Thanks Lee,
Prices are prett

"Thanks Lee,
Prices are pretty good. Have you seen any diesel conversions of the 270/280/290 drives. There seems to be plenty of them done using Nissan engines. LD28, FD42, TD42. I'd like to know how they mate the drive to the engine."

"Thanks Lee
I'm only runn

"Thanks Lee
I'm only running a bare 17' fibreglass boat, so about 130HP would be ok. The Toyota 3.0l turbo diesel is about that sort of power, not far off on max rpm, and are a very reliable light engine. A good second hand one would be $2k-$3k complete. Should be able to manufacture a stainless wet exhaust for under $1k. Add cooling for $0.5k, and adapting drive system/bell housing? I'd like to head more towards an automotive engine for cost/availablity of parts."

Back